autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845 vs Wheel sealant + spoke-brush

Greetings all,

My very first question for this forum:

I recently applied 2 coats of 845 to my new alloy and factory painted wheels, after reading so much good stuff about this product.

My question is whether subsequently using a wheel or spoke-brush after this treatment will remove the product and thus put me back to square one?

After applying 2 coats I had hoped that my brake-dust would just fly off my wheels at the wand-wash, but unfortunately this was not the case. Will using my brush remove my hard work?

Frans

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite 845 vs Wheel sealant + spoke-brush

I have also used 845. It lasts a long time. I think the durability will be more dependent on the wheel cleaner used. Harsh = less life. I use the car wash soap without issue. 845 is a favorite for my pre winter prep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
    I have also used 845. It lasts a long time. I think the durability will be more dependent on the wheel cleaner used. Harsh = less life. I use the car wash soap without issue. 845 is a favorite for my pre winter prep.
    Do you think that using a wheel-brush will remove the 845 from my wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

I use 845 on my wheels 20" painted FX4, I use a boars hair brush sometimes a wash wedge "lakecountry" it last. I only use wash soap I would say I redo them at least once a month or boost them with a spray wax or detail spray. I feel for cost to look and longevity 845 has served me the best.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a soft wheel/tire brush from Lowes,

as well as a Daytona Jr brush on my clearcoated factory chromies and I don't feel sealant longevity has been compromised by either one. I haven't used 845 on wheels for quite a while, however. I've become a real fan of FK1000p, as it lasts all winter for me, even with weekly washing using my leftover rinseless and the brushes mentioned.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all the fabulous responses guys! Has put me at ease and on a monthly 845 application schedule for my wheels!

You guys rock! Happy I joined the forum

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't need to reapply monthly. Even with the high heat, I have gotten 3-4 months out of one application of 845 before I notice they don't clean as easy. I apply every 6 months with a wheel-off-the-car cleaning first with Meguiars DUB or Sonax wheel cleaner. I remove any tar spots with TarX, then clay the wheel.

What I do is just mix my DG carwash soap in a spray bottle with water at 1:32. I rinse each wheel, spray liberally with the DG mix, let it sit a minute (while I apply cleaner to the tires and wheel wells), the hit them with the Daytona Speedmaster. Rinse and done. I also clean my tires with this mix so that I don't get a harsher cleaner dripping onto the wheels that could degrade the 845.

One thing I think makes the 845 last longer too, is to at least clay the wheels after a good cleaning. This will give you the best bonding scenario.

I like the BF All Metal Sealant too. I'll use one or the other depending on what I feel like that day.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tpr1634 View Post
    I use 845 on my wheels 20" painted FX4, I use a boars hair brush sometimes a wash wedge "lakecountry" it last. I only use wash soap I would say I redo them at least once a month or boost them with a spray wax or detail spray. I feel for cost to look and longevity 845 has served me the best.
    Sounds like a good maintenance program. Had not thought about using a spray wax in between applications! Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like

If durability is a key factor you can use a coating on your wheels. I have factory painted alloys as well and mine dust like crazy. I coated them about 8 months ago and the cleaning is so much easier, especially the wheel barrels with the speedmaster. It has reduced the need to use harsh wheel cleaners and they look great too. Good coating prep is a wheels off affair, but you don't have to do it very often, probably like once a year.

I will use a spraying of Carpro Hydro2 every month or so to add protection (even though its probably not necessary) and that takes only about 2 minutes per wheel. That regimen has worked well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post
    If durability is a key factor you can use a coating on your wheels. I have factory painted alloys as well and mine dust like crazy. I coated them about 8 months ago and the cleaning is so much easier, especially the wheel barrels with the speedmaster. It has reduced the need to use harsh wheel cleaners and they look great too. Good coating prep is a wheels off affair, but you don't have to do it very often, probably like once a year.

I will use a spraying of Carpro Hydro2 every month or so to add protection (even though its probably not necessary) and that takes only about 2 minutes per wheel. That regimen has worked well for me.
    What was the coating you used?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast