autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Going Crazy, What's the Right Way to Clean Glass???

I CANNOT get a clean windshield. I've been detailing since 2010 and have not once got a perfect windshield. I get haze and holograms in the windshield every time. I'm using Rain-X and a MF cloth. I have even tried newspaper and that ended horribly. What does everyone use to clean glass?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going Crazy, What's the Right Way to Clean Glass???

When you say you are using Rain-X, do you mean Rain-X glass cleaner (I presume) rather than the water repellant treatment? I always have problems with the treatment being hazy and difficult to get a clear window, but my bottle is older than most members of this forum.

I'll presume you are using the Rain-X glass cleaner. Are you having the problem with the inside or the outside of the windshield? What kind of car and how old? Has the car been smoked in? What kind of towels are you using?

There can be a lot of factors--I find that some Honda products seem to have a very difficult windshield surface--inside and out.

Also, cigarette smoke, outgassing of interior components, and volatiles from dressings can deposit on the windows and cause a greasy film that is difficult to remove. Usually a glass cleaner containing isopropyl alcohol (IPA) works, but you might need to use stronger solutions of IPA or in some cases a mild glass polish or other polish on interior surfaces (don't do that on rear windows with antennas or defrosters).

If your problems are on the outside--have you clayed and polished the glass? Toweling is also a key issue for windows, inside and out.

Let us know some of the details of what you are working on, what you are doing, and what products you are using.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smriddler View Post
    and a MF cloth.
    You need to have PLENTY of microfiber towels and/or paper towels when cleaning glass. If you only use ONE towel, you're simply going to be redepositing the dirt and grime that you just wiped off. Plus, the towel will become damp from the cleaner and that too will lead to streaks.

My procedure for cleaning glass:

1. Spray cleaner directly onto surface.
    2. Wipe with a microfiber glass towel.
    3. Spray cleaner directly onto surface AGAIN.
    4. Wipe with a (new side) of the microfiber glass towel.
    5. Grab a NEW, DRY glass towel and remove any streaks.

To clean my windshield alone (both sides) I use on average 4-6 towels.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good results with Stoner's Invisible Glass (aerosol version) and Optimum's ONR. I haven't used any of the RainX products.

The technique that works best for me is to spray on the cleaner, wipe with a tight-weave microfiber towel in one direction (up-down) then flip the towel over (or use a second towel) and wipe in opposite direction (left-right) and repeat until the haze disappears.

Cleaning the insides can be tricky especially if the windshield is large and has a long, steep rake. Stoner's Invisible Glass Reach & Clean tool helps. Spray the cleaner on the MF towel, drape it over the back of your hand and wipe in alternate directions. If you're cleaning the inside of a smoker's car, it'll take repeated attempts to get the tar removed from the windshield.

Also, don't wear polarized sunglasses when cleaning windows. It'll visibly hide haze left behind and you won't know it until you look at the window in the sunlight.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using with great success lately Invisible Glass Aerosol can and the Rag Company MF towel for windows, its blue not sure the item number. They are large so I can do the whole car with one before it is too wet and streaks. Awesome results.

Post Thanks / Like

I use vinegar, Alcohol and water. I put my led flood lights (or Halogen Lights) in front of the car shining through the front window. It will show any spots you missed. Also
    Wipe one direction on the outside the the other direction on the inside so you can tell if it's on the inside or out (blue waffle weave towels).
    I spray one of the towels with cleaner get it really wet wipe half of window then buff off the dry towel it will seam to drag at first the it will slide across glass. The flood lights will should haze and any marks you miss, if you put the lights in front of the car you check all the windows just by going behind the car and looking through the glass. With me i found i was not using enough cleaner it drying before i could really clean the glass.

1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
    1/4 cup white vinegar (this will help to remove light water spots)
    2 cups water

Post Thanks / Like

First off, use only Microfiber for glass, not a regular mircofiber as you will leave strands.

I have had good luck with just plain ole water! (this is for inside of course).

Robert DiTerlizzi has also a trick he has shared where he puts a drop or two of Johnson and Johnsons baby shampoo in a spray bottle of water, and says it works amazingly well as a window cleaner with no streaks.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sayroger View Post

...Wipe one direction on the outside the the other direction on the inside so you can tell if it's on the inside or out (blue waffle weave towels).
    THIS!

I've always taught my kids (and others) to do that. This way you'll know right away if the streak is on the inside or out.

Another thing on glass towels. The green glass towels from Microfiber Tech are both cheap and GOOD.

And as much as we tend not to use cotton anymore in detailing, for years one particular towel that have always been a great glass towel are actually cotton. They are called "surgical huck towels". Haven't looked for any in years, but they are cheap.

As for the RainX... I'm thinking you're talking about the glass cleaner in the yellow bottle, yes? It's pretty good stuff, at least for a final wipe. That and the 303 stuff I tend to keep around. For initial wipe though, especially with dirty glass... I like Megs, perhaps with a bit of added alcohol at times.

Post Thanks / Like

Poweraid told me about denatured alcohol and h2o say 1oz alch to 15 ozwater it works well.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that if you skimp on the cleaner, you will also get streaks. Use your cleaner generously.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast