autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine detailing mistakes and how to fix?

Well, another challenge here. Apparently the last person to detail my engine bay used a clear coat Acrylic Enamel to coat plastic pieces, and looks like just about everything else too. Quite a few spots look ok, but some spots such as the plastic oil filler cap, and the plastic covering part of the engine look like the coating is uneven.

So, TWO BIG questions:
    1] Is there a Poor Boys or other product that I can apply over ALL plastic and rubber pieces and rub it good (considering every bit probably has the acrylic on it)

2] Is there some plastic scratch remover stuff I can use to remove the acrylic where it looks uneven?

I have more a problem than I had anticipated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got any pictures?
    Cars to be detailed:
    2006 Pontiac GTO, Spice Red Metallic, 6-speed, 17" wheels - minor swirls, overall good condition
    2006 Honda Accord coupe, Black Pearl, 5-speed - Paint in bad shape, tons of swirls and water marks, sat on a dealer's lot for nearly 1 year

1997 Subaru Legacy GT wagon, Red, automatic - Crappy re-paint to begin with, much improved, may need XMT #4 on the roof

Post Thanks / Like

No pics, but will take some and post them.

I hope my digital camera will be able to produce pics that are high enough resoultion.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try PlastX, I use that to remove scratches in headlights and taillights.

Barring that, wetsanding and hand polishing?
    Paul
    2000 Corvette
    1965 Chevelle

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the pics. Hope there is enough detail here.

Quote Originally Posted by ecetim View Post
    Got any pictures?
    Here are the pics.
    I am really embarassed to show the pics on this car. I realize most people on this forum have very nice high ticket, exotic wheels, but this is my daily driver and until I can get a better paying position this is going to be it. I am also trying to make a point that I can take a very modest car and make it look better than it is right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there enough detail here to make it clear what challenges I am facing with the vehicle?

Would this also be the forum to post pics of trim, interior and paint to get advice specifically for what I have?

Post Thanks / Like
    There's no reason to be embarassed... at ALL. I know that some people on the forum have some really nice cars, some are showing pictures of cars that they've detailed that are not their own. I think someone going the extra mile to take care of what they have whether it's a $100,000.00 sports car or a $1000.00 daily beater says something about their character. Now let's see some picks of the full detial.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've not used nor know anybody that has used some of those acrylic coatings on engines, not sure, but I would assume any good degreaser or APC would take care of it while scrubbing with brush. But there are different versions of that product if I recall with some lasting months and others being more permanent kinda like a clear coat.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by makdaddy626 View Post
    There's no reason to be embarassed... at ALL. I know that some people on the forum have some really nice cars, some are showing pictures of cars that they've detailed that are not their own. I think someone going the extra mile to take care of what they have whether it's a $100,000.00 sports car or a $1000.00 daily beater says something about their character. Now let's see some picks of the full detial.
    Thanks very much. I appreciate the encouraging words.
    With that said, OK to post all the pics of what it is now, to get advice on what I plan to do next -- I mean specifics for each aspect of the detailing and get some ideas as to whether what I plan to do is a good idea, or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good idea. Nothing like getting advice from the experts before doing your first full detail!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast