autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Improper methods on Ferraris, Porsches, etc.

Hey everyone, I'm wondering how to talk to my boss about how we wash/maintain some very expensive cars.

Back story: when I was in college I started working at a very wealthy man's property...5 years later I'm still taking classes before PA school and working at the property.

He has anything from Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, rolls Royce, etc. My problem is how they maintain them.

Nothing against griots but it's literally all they use, except for C.A.R. Wax which I think is more along the lines of a sealant.

No 2bm, use griots wash and wax with microchenille mitts. If we're doing multiple cars, they won't even change mitts or change water. Today a guy used a plastic/rubber blade to dry the car-maybe it's just me but I cringed.

Waffle weaves to dry, and some nasty looking griots microfibers whenever it needs a wipe using speed shine.

No clay, no machine polishing (unless the garage door guy comes in with his buffer-who also does not use clay). Cars usually get a quick dust then wax using mf applicator. Everything gets put in a washing machine with some tide.

So...how do I approach my boss (I'm definitely the low man on the pole here), and convince him that they're hurting these vehicles? I'm by no means a professional but I think I know this is so wrong.

I've shown him pictures of my correction process, 50/50, and his swirled up truck from the swirl-o-matic, but he just laughs.

Let me know and thanks in advance!
    -Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Improper methods on Ferraris, Porsches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cduprey View Post
    I've shown him pictures of my correction process, 50/50, and his swirled up truck from the swirl-o-matic, but he just laughs.
    I think that says it all. He doesn't care, so don't bother trying to convince him, and don't let it bother you either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    I think that says it all. He doesn't care, so don't bother trying to convince him, and don't let it bother you either.
    What he said, let it go, do your job, collect your check. Other way it goes is you piss him off and you're looking for a job, he's the boss, he runs the shop.

Your other choice is to go to work for someone else if it bothers you that much.

You can educate some of the people some of the time, and most of the people none of the time. And in this case none of the time. Best advice let it go or get let go
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but how hard would it be to stay quiet, given the calibre of some of the cars?

Since he's so wealthy, would he care if he spent a few extra bucks to do it right? Even simple stuff like quality MFs and wash media, grit guards and a few extra quality products.

If you've been working for him for 5 years, he should have a degree of trust in you no? Ask respectfully if he will let you "manage" the car care duties and allow you to make some decisions about how it's done and what to use.

I don't think you've got anything to lose as long as you remain respectful..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

How much do you need the job? Seeing as he laughed at your 50:50 shots I think you are in for an uphill battle unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Being Non-AG minded is as much of a disease as being OCD about car care, just as nothing will change our opinions about how a car should be cared for, nothing will change the way a "non-believer" thinks. I've had a few friends that I've detailed cars for - to try and get them to see the importance of proper washing/waxing etc. but in the end, they thank me for a "nice" job and I never touch their cars again ... and neither do they. For the most part now, I don't let it bother me, but I still look at their cars and think "What a shame, I can fix that."

I did a severely neglected black Honda Accord for a lady on the cheap trying to get my foot in the door for other cars belonging to her friends and coworkers. The car was BAD, there was blue pearl in the paint, but it looked straight black before I started, Just the trunk killed a clay bar and it took me 2.5 days to finish. In the end all I got was an: "It looks nice." Of course she didn't ever have me touch the car again nor did she recommend me to her friends, but such is life.

Clay bar

50/50 on fender - the WHOLE car looked this way

Finished hood

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you went to him, you tried, but he shot you down. Don't push, if he decides he wants it done he'll come to you, otherwise leave it alone.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I meant to say I've shown him my work, and he was never really interested in it.
    But...I have not brought up that the detailing of the cars is not on par with how they get treated mechanically-I.e get shipped to different states to get worked on depending on who the best reputation has. So I think my question should have been "how do I get him to trust me and my knowledge", seeing as I am no professional, and all he THINKS I can do is landscaping, painting, and computer work.
    I've always been very respectful towards him, and if he says no I'll have to suck it up and knowingly swirl up these cars, while keeping my mouth shut.

My problem stems from the fact that it is a 100k car, why not protect it?
    Background on my boss: 68 year old guy who does everything the way his father did it.

This past winter was brutal and one of the dd range rovers got trashed...inside and out. I was thinking of seeing if I could get a try-out on it, and when the mrs. Realizes how nice all of the cars should be, maybe I'll get a little more swing.

This job clearly is just a time filler, I only bring it up because AG me just can't stand seeing a Ferrari or Bentley swirled up, especially since they're driven max 10-15 times a year.

Thanks for the input!