autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage Setup

Post Thanks / Like

Garage Setup

I recently just purchased my first house that I plan on detailing out of. I am going to be setting up the garage how I like and want some opinions.

Unfortunately the previous owner didn't setup the electrical in the garage to handle the load I would be needing.

The garage is about 20'x20'. I will be epoxying the floor after I strip the paint from the existing paint coating.

As for lighting I would like to go for electrical efficiency and have access to the ceiling via attic with electrical boxes to hard wire in the lights. I was thinking of going with recessed LED lighting with HOT5 florescent lights for the walls.

Similar to this but with LED Lighting instead.

How many light do you think I will need to adequately light the garage for detailing?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Setup

check out garage journal dot com. They have some awesome set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for digressing, but I noticed you said you were going to epoxy the floor. I had epoxy once upon a time, but choose to go with Garage Track flooring this time. It's just like Race Deck (actually made in the same plant by the same manufacture as Race Deck) but costs MUCH less. It's on sale right now for as low as $2.15/sq. ft. plus edge pieces. This stuff looks fantastic, was easy to install, a pleasure to work all day on (no fatigue or dread of laying on cold concrete), and cleans up with Ultima Waterless Wash and a mop. I love the stuff! I will never look back again. Here's what my floor looks like...

Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DARK HORSE View Post
    Sorry for digressing, but I noticed you said you were going to epoxy the floor. I had epoxy once upon a time, but choose to go with Garage Track flooring this time. It's just like Race Deck (actually made in the same plant by the same manufacture as Race Deck) but costs MUCH less. It's on sale right now for as low as $2.15/sq. ft. plus edge pieces. This stuff looks fantastic, was easy to install, a pleasure to work all day on (no fatigue or dread of laying on cold concrete), and cleans up with Ultima Waterless Wash and a mop. I love the stuff! I will never look back again. Here's what my floor looks like...

at $2.15/sq. ft. that would put me at $860.00 just for the flooring.

I used to professionally install epoxy flooring for a living and can tell you that cost is way cheaper for epoxy than for that flooring, for me at least since I know how to install it. Paying someone to come out and install it for me, I would likely end up paying more than $860.00, but in my case epoxy is cheaper. I would rather spend the $860 on a mytee hot water extractor than that flooring. Don't get me wrong that flooring is nice and looks great, but I am still in the start up phases of detailing.

Total cost for the epoxy flooring right now has run me about $300.00 which comes out to be about $0.75 a square foot.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ what he said. Got the race deck @ 2.15/sq ft and that is free shipping with liftgate. No down time, 12 year waranty and it looks awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!! The garage set-up for DARKHORSE and wrb subie are awesome!!! Beautiful garages. DARKHORSE YOUR garage is incredible and you have great taste in cars!!!

My garage is ok compared to yours...My issue is lighting and electrical too. I use Flood lights and that helps quite a bit!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

DARKHOURSE-- Can you wash the car in a garage with this type of flooring?? Just seems water would get under the tiles and cause mold etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    DARKHOURSE-- Can you wash the car in a garage with this type of flooring?? Just seems water would get under the tiles and cause mold etc.
    Yes, most definitely you can! The tiles are raised, and the underneath of the tile is channeled to direct water away from and out of the garage. Although I don't wash in the garage (I wash in the shop next door), I do give it a good pressure washer rinse about once a year. All dry the next morning with no issues.

Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Since the OP can do Epoxy himself, $ save for sure. However, for most of us, RD or GT or swisstrac is the way to go. I just got freeflow RD sample the other day and it looks nice. Good luck OP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DARK HORSE View Post
    CJ,

I use the standard T8 fluorescent fixtures in both 24” (on the ceiling) and 48” (on the walls), in both 5500k and 6000k color temps, in combination with 3 each of these staggered across the ceiling.
    http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-105-Fluorescent-Daylight-Photography/dp/B004L75BGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431975417&sr=8-1&keywords=cowboy+studio+lighting+Fluorescent+CFL+ 105+w

And 3 each of these staggered across the ceiling. It seems to work pretty well to have different types of light.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_150661-75774-LPAR3814005KLEDG5_0__?productId=50107550&Ntt=par+9 0w+led&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dpar%2B90w%2Bled&fa cetInfo=

Hope to soon add some LED tubes to the walls...
    Wow Way way cool!!! I will be putting these bulbs in my garage Thank you for the information!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast