autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mothers product for exhaust tips?

I say mothers because I was going to do this tomorrow and it would be the easiest to get. What product would be the best for the tips? Billet or metal polish? I guess I don't know the difference. Also could these be used on my rims? Yes I'm a dumbass and don't know what they are made of. If it helps it's a 2013 Mercedes slk. I'm guessing they aren't chrome, but I don't even know if I could tell

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mothers product for exhaust tips?

I use the Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish. Nobody likes a dirty tip.... exhaust tip that is
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Billet is a much finer polish, so it's capable of a higher shine, but at the expense of not being aggressive enough to remove defects. If your tips are in perfect shape, but you want to polish them to a better finish, Billet is the way to go.

If they're not in perfect condition you'd probably be better off with Mag & Aluminum Polish. You could always two step - use Mag, then follow it with Billet.

As for your rims, if they are OE neither of those products are appropriate. Your wheels are likely painted and coated. Pics would help to confirm their finish and the proper product to use.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I'll try to figure out how to post pictures, but they are oem Mercedes rims on a 13 slk roadster if that's of any help. I do know now that they are NOT chrome, however. Thanks a ton for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cstegs View Post
    Hmm, I'll try to figure out how to post pictures, but they are oem Mercedes rims on a 13 slk roadster if that's of any help. I do know now that they are NOT chrome, however. Thanks a ton for the advice.
    In all likelihood these will be clear coated wheels and so a metal polish would not be recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cstegs View Post
    Don't use either of those metal polishes on your wheels. If they are clear coated you will ruin them.

Use a quality wheel cleaner and then a clay to remove any stubborn deposits. You can polish them with a regular paint Polish and seal with a regular paint sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    In all likelihood these will be clear coated wheels and so a metal polish would not be recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    Don't use either of those metal polishes on your wheels. If they are clear coated you will ruin them.

Use a quality wheel cleaner and then a clay to remove any stubborn deposits. You can polish them with a regular paint Polish and seal with a regular paint sealant.
    What they said...use Mothers All Wheel & Tire for those wheels. Available on AG or OTC at most auto stores/Wal-Mart.
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Not the steal Mothers thunder, Megs has a medium and fine polish as well. Just an alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Forrest, thanks for the clarification on the difference between the polishes. I often wondered what the differences were between the two. I have always used the Mag and Aluminum polish, need to get some Billet for a final polish on my exhaust tips. It is nice to hear from a representative of Mother's to help clarify things.

Walter
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whavens View Post
    Forrest, thanks for the clarification on the difference between the polishes. I often wondered what the differences were between the two. I have always used the Mag and Aluminum polish, need to get some Billet for a final polish on my exhaust tips. It is nice to hear from a representative of Mother's to help clarify things.

Walter
    Glad to help. Keep in mind stainless is much harder than aluminum, so speed will be your friend when it comes to polishing. A tool in a drill, like our PowerCone, would be good. An alternative is to apply some polish to the surface, then loop a quality microfiber over the tip and pull it from side to side in rapid fashion - kinda like a shoe shine person does a shoe to finish it off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast