autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Perl leaving gunk on tires

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    Sorry, I've been seeing many complain on here about Perl, I've lost count. To me, that means "many". I'm sorry some of us do not like your beloved Perl. Accept the fact, that MANY people do not necessarily like it and stop making excuses for its "warts". Im sorry you have such strong feelings for a tire product.
    Or the fact the sales and reviews for this product directly contradict what you think should happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, youre right. There are more than just a couple lately. You still have to wonder about application/prep methods before writing off a product from some bad reviews.

It does have 15 reviews here on AG and 4.5 out of 5 stars. One 2 star review was because they put a sticker on it with a 1 year date code.

Autopia it has 5
    Amazon: 4.5+
    eshine: 4
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

with any product these days, there is going to be some good & bad, you just have to do your homework and get a census of what the majority say or even better try it out for yourself and decide then...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps it is an issue of unrealistic expectations.

If a water based coating like this is supposed to last 1-2 weeks, then that's what I get out of PERL. The product description says it lasts three months, but they don't specifically say where it is expected to last three months. Now, my trim along the door jambs looks as shiny as the day I put PERL on it 10 days ago. On the other hand, my tires will be ready for a new coat when the next weekend rolls around.

So, if that's what it is, then it does its job fine. But, if 3 months is the claim, I say "not a chance on tires."

Sent into the Ether via Tapatalk 🆒

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Ive didnt know they claimed that, never read it closely enough I guess. Also I am sure it matters how many coats you use, and if they dried completely in between.

I used it for the first time last night. Used it neat as I am waiting an order with spray bottles to be delivered. I was not expecting it to be as liquidy as it was. Put two coats of it on the passenger side, and two coats of CG VRP on the drivers side.

FIrst thought are I like VRP much better, but that has only to do with easy of application. Spraying it on may make a difference. I also thought about putting in in an old wax container, or something of similar size, mixing it 1:1 so that i could dip the applicator, and coat it similar to how you would wax. That would give me a more even consistency to spread it evenly, even though it may use slightly more product.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the flavor of the month tire dressing doesn't taste so good any more???

I've never used PERL, but I've been pretty happy with:

Bold n Bright

OptiBond

Prima Infinity

However, I always clean the tires and reapply every wash.

Using any of these products on a car that sees rain doesn't make much sense to me. It's like using a wax that will only last a single rain or wash. In such cases, I think it's better to use a tire coating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

As few guys mentioned here, PERL is water based, its a mixture of silicons and acrylate resin , NO SOLVENTS inside since solvents ,which used mostly in rubber dressing, damage in the long run the tire rubber and attract more dust to it, its more durable yes but slowly etching the rubber surface and dry it. PERL is water based so we wanted to avoid this problem, rain day after Perl used can dilute it further on on tires specially if it was raining allot,. on dry day it will bond for long time and stay smooth satin finish. i would advise diluting 1:1 for tires too, and do 2 layers coat, rather than 1 undiluted. while its diluted 1:1 we found out the bonding to rubber is better . HTH

Post Thanks / Like

I've went through a few brands recently, Optibond, Swissvax pneu, Meguiars and even Perl. Optibond is by far the best
    REFINED SHINE
    Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avi@CarPro View Post
    As few guys mentioned here, PERL is water based, its a mixture of silicons and acrylate resin , NO SOLVENTS inside since solvents ,which used mostly in rubber dressing, damage in the long run the tire rubber and attract more dust to it, its more durable yes but slowly etching the rubber surface and dry it. PERL is water based so we wanted to avoid this problem, rain day after Perl used can dilute it further on on tires specially if it was raining allot,. on dry day it will bond for long time and stay smooth satin finish. i would advise diluting 1:1 for tires too, and do 2 layers coat, rather than 1 undiluted. while its diluted 1:1 we found out the bonding to rubber is better . HTH
    I believe we all have a good understanding that it's water based. The bigger issue, is the claim of 3 months. Can you explain this process, or does this only apply to a showroom condition or garage queen?

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Perl leaving gunk on tires

OP, I have seen this discoloration before from a few customers on tires. In context we have TONS of repeat Perl users but yes that can happen. Why? I am 95% sure I know why it happens to a few. On some brands of brand new tires the anti oxidant and anti ozanant that is used reacts with PERL and creates that appearance.

The white discoloration will wash off easy for you but to avoid that happening on those tires I believe you will have to first use a powerful tire cleaner to clean the tires very well.

Reply to a few other comments I see:

I have also seen on some types of plastics where Perl and other products as well can wash off - indeed with one rain BUT that is rare and I didn't get any streaks. Plastic and rubbers can both vary widely and people will get a variety of results based on the type and the prep with any product. For most they will love Perl, for some it just won't suit the material or environment. Similarly this is the case with most products.

Perl truly does last up to 3 months on a regularly used vehicle. On tires it won't but on plastics I have seen it regularly bead and protect TEXTURED plastic on a DAILY DRIVER in Florida for 2-3 months - with that that gorgeous dark appearance any Perl lover knows lasting about over a month with daily raining.

Again on some plastics it could wash off with one rain but in my experience that is on that weird shiny hard molded plastic. On textured plastic I have never seen an issue personally.

Here's some testing I did on Perl back in the day Review: CarPro PERL
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast