autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tire Coating and New Tires

Picked up some new tires for the car today. Had Tuf Shine tire coating on the old tires and love the product. I am going to coat the new tires, but having read threads here on tire blooming and antiozonants, etc, my question is do I need to wait to let anything leech out of the tires or outgas or whatever the proper term is?

If so, my plan would be to clean tires weekly with Tuf Shine tire cleaner for a month before coating the tires. Thanks for any input.

BTW - ditched the factory runflats for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. What a difference in ride! Smoother, quieter, and better road feel. Should have done this sooner (if it wasn't for the $1200 it cost me with alignment. ).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Coating and New Tires

Yea tires are expensive... Just give them a good couple scrubbings to wash the mold release off them and rinse well then then should be ok to coat..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post

...If so, my plan would be to clean tires weekly with Tuf Shine tire cleaner for a month before coating the tires. Thanks for any input.
    Sounds like a good idea.

I once tried to remove all of the mold release agent on some brand new Michelin tires and I couldn't get it all off even after trying about 6 or 7 different products including Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner.

Not exactly sure but I do believe the mold release comes to the surface of the tire the more you drive the car making it easier to clean off.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe its the nature of the tire. I bought 2 Bridgestone tires last OCT and cleaned them with Tuff Shine. 3 cleanings later and they were running white foam. Coated them with TS and they lasted 3 months thru the brutal winter in NE. Yep, tires are expensive. $325 for 2 16" tires installed and balanced from Tire Rack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmsc View Post
    Maybe its the nature of the tire. I bought 2 Bridgestone tires last OCT and cleaned them with Tuff Shine. 3 cleanings later and they were running white foam. Coated them with TS and they lasted 3 months thru the brutal winter in NE. Yep, tires are expensive. $325 for 2 16" tires installed and balanced from Tire Rack.
    I got white foam also after 2 or 3 applications of the TS Tire Cleaner on the Michelins but you could still see the mold release agent on the tires.

The tire is clean enough at that point to apply the coating but I would think that if you could get more of the mold release off, the coating would last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly never thought of the mold release but I used the ts cleaner then coated my new general tires...they've lost a little gloss in a couple months but still have that brand new tire look

Post Thanks / Like

Yes getting several heat cycles in the tires will help release the mold release, they paint that stuff on a green tire before it goes into the curring molds, so it gets cooked into the tire...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Yes getting several heat cycles in the tires will help release the mold release, they paint that stuff on a green tire before it goes into the curring molds, so it gets cooked into the tire...
    Exactly