autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Disappointing; review

So far I've loved all the products offered on AG except one; the DP Wheel Glaze.

I've used it in the past but even when applying a very thin layer, wiping off and spritzing with water and wiping again, it just didn't do it for me.

This week, tried it again on one front wheel (the fronts get more brake dust than rears). After a week, did not notice any discernable difference with the other without--even when washing. The application is a whip and the effort is not rewarded with the after effects.

What works MUCH better is cleaning wheels with either DP 4-1 and applying AW or clean with 521 and sealing with AW. It's easier to apply, leaves a great shine and protects enough that cleaning dust later is just as easy to remove.

Luckily, Wheel Glaze is the only product that didn't cut it for me. Too much work and not enough benefits. All in all, pretty good odds given all the products I've bought here.

Just my 2 cents.
    Never lie if your memory stinks...

Post Thanks / Like
    It can be quite a toughie to buff off compared to Poorboys Wheel Sealant, but I don't care much for any of the wheels products. Clay, clean with AIO, and then I use AW from that point on. AW is so much easier to use, and gives a great shine on painted, chrome, forged etc wheels. And water just beads right off and not much brake dust sticks to it, wipes right off witha wash.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer
    It can be quite a toughie to buff off compared to Poorboys Wheel Sealant, but I don't care much for any of the wheels products. Clay, clean with AIO, and then I use AW from that point on. AW is so much easier to use, and gives a great shine on painted, chrome, forged etc wheels. And water just beads right off and not much brake dust sticks to it, wipes right off witha wash.
    +1. Amazing what comes off your wheels with an AIO when you think they are spotless. Then AW is always easy after a wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    You want the longest lasting wheel product, clay, use aio, then use a little collinite 845 or even 915 and then buff off.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'm in the minority here but I have used this product some 20 plus times and never had a problem with it and get great long lasting results. I have used a QDer on wheels as well and have had greater success with DP wheel glaze than QDer. I also have exerted very very little effort in getting the product off. I use the Mother's mini powerball and wipe any left off with a MF. Not sure why my results have been so easy compared to the things I've read from others???

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the DP Wheel Glaze to be difficult to remove. It did keep my wheels cleaner but to me, not worth the effort.

Since then, I decided to give the PB Wheel Sealant a try. It is easier to remove than the DP product, but still, not as easy as AIO! I do find that the PB Wheel Glaze works well. I'm on week three of just using soap and water to clean my wheels.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO I'm just not sure the Wheel Glaze effort and results are worth it UNLESS you are the type that doesn't clean wheels very often which leads to that really cruddy caked-on dust. My OCD leads me to wipe down the rims every couple of days with a QD or 4-1 so the dust never gets bad enough to worry about specific sealants other than a quick mist of AW...
    Never lie if your memory stinks...

Post Thanks / Like
    DP Wheel Glaze has a minor cleaner in it, think AIO type, and thus is a little harder to buff off. I have seen positive results on almost every car used in that for several weeks after its use only soap and water are needed to clean wheels versus a harsh cleaner.

What I have noted is on several high end foreign cars (like MB) the high carbon brake pads cake on dust that cannot easily be removed no matter the wheel protectant used. They need a spray cleaner (like P21S) and using DP or Poorboys makes a very small difference at best. Its almost like these cars sheer off so much brake pad they overcake the wheels. Ever noticed the MB or BMW car next to you with solid black front wheels, but yet rest of car looks reasonable, these are where I specifically noted a difference.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I too find Klasse AIO to do a very nice job on wheels. DP wheels glaze if very hard to get off but I think it does a pretty good job of protecting the wheels enough that the brake does washes off with soap and water. I have not noticed anymore brake dust on my wife's MB then any of my other cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its there SPORT model as they typically have drilled rotors and special wheels and most likely a different pad. On our CTS it had this also, after changing to ceramic pads nothing was ever an issue again.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast