autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oxidation and clear coat peeling

Hello everyone! Just wanting to see if anyone has any tips on how to "fix" or repair oxidation/clear coat peeling. I live in AZ and the sun is slowing destroying my 99 Pontiac firebird. When I first saw my car I fell in love with her (half because of the color) a bright blue and I'm not sure how to fix these issues. If at all possible with redoing the paint as I can't find the same color anywhere. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Katy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oxidation and clear coat peeling

A repaint is the only way.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, only option for the peeling clear coat is a repaint.

Oxidation however can be fixed by compounding / polishing.

Do you have any pics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Oxidation and clear coat peeling

My mother's lease is up soon, and long story short, she lost her job due to an ankle injury and can't afford a new car at the moment. So our third car, a 97 civic lx, will become her car for the time being. The problem with the car (luckily it is not mechanical - knock on wood) is the paint. The clear coat is peeling off in large sections. I am not looking to spend a lot on the car, but I would like to be able to either paint the car with rustolem white for her (car is already white) as I've seen done on this thread, or prep the car to be painted at maaco for a quick & temporary solution. I do not have the time or space to paint it myself.

How should I go about fixing the car? (Pics to follow)

Post Thanks / Like

See pics - pic 1, 2 & 3 - you can see the hood clear coat failing.Pic 4 - I'm not sure if the left side's clear coat is completely worn off, or completely still in tact (hard to tell).Pic 5- you can see the cc failing at the top of the doors. Pic 6- the trunk lid has most of the clear coat off with some in tact. LR quarter panel appears ok but RR quarter panel has most if not all cc peeled off already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oxidation and clear coat peeling-img_6580-jpg   Oxidation and clear coat peeling-img_6582-jpg   Oxidation and clear coat peeling-img_6583-jpg   Oxidation and clear coat peeling-img_6590-jpg   Oxidation and clear coat peeling-img_6585-jpg   Oxidation and clear coat peeling-img_6588-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Well, long story short, I wet sanded with 800 then 2000 grit paper, blending the edges. I then sprayed on about 4 coats of white color-matched paint and then 4 of clear. Used M105 to follow. Was going for a "do-it-all-in-one-day" approach, rather than a "show-car approach". Luckily, left side of car was not peeling, so I just compounded. It may peel eventually, but am going for a temporary solution as this will likely only be a main vehicle temporarily. I am waiting 48 hours for paint to cure, and then I will hit it with more m105, and possibly m205 if I have time. I then plan on either a) using pinnacle black label kit to seal, or b) using rejex to seal. Haven't decided yet. Will upload pics once car is done!