autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Iron X needed for new vehicle?

Sorry for all my questions...I am reading Mike Phillip's book right now (The Complete Guide to a Show Car Finish) and he mentions Iron X. I am wondering if this is something I should buy or not as my truck is brand new. I also have chrome bumpers and I would be worried about it getting on the bumpers.

So...should I purchase some of this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iron X needed for new vehicle?

YES!!
    A few years ago I bought a brand new Yellow car and it was covered with rail dust. Everywhere you looked there were little tiny red specks.

It took two painstaking days to remove all of it with the clay bar available at the time (2002)

I sure wish iron-X had been available then. It would have done the job in two applications with absolutely no paint marring.

Post Thanks / Like

YES for sure
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I first started using Iron X in 2011 when I took ownership of my Kia Optima. When I officially took ownership I was in the middle of my 7th day of 9 straight working 12hr shifts. I was tired so the excitement of my new car took the backseat for a few days because it was all about work and sleep. Once I got my first day off I noticed what I thought was little rust spots all over the place. A little digging on the net revealed it to be ferrous iron, which led to me buying Iron X, which was also my first purchase on AG.

This is a picture of Iron X working on my Optima about 8 days after taking ownership of my brand new Optima. As the posters above me mentioned, YES, I would definitely purchase it and you'll be amazed how much crap is already on your brand new truck.

I belong to a secret order. We all have OCD, so you’d better believe we have order.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the 500mL bottle enough to do my truck??

Post Thanks / Like

I'd buy a liter if I were you. You can always use the leftover on your wheels in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I had some disagreements with a similiar question a few days back about how much to use. When I use it I use quite a bit but I spray down the entire car, including glass, wheel wells, wheels, etc...I also hit stubborn areas a second time if I have to so I might go through nearly an entire 1 liter bottle. I might have 3 of 4 oz's left.

That's my process and I am not concerned with how much I use or the price. This stuff is worth the money to me. My thought process is the 500ml bottle is like 19.99 and 1 liter is 32.00. I get more for my money with a 1 liter bottle and I know I'll use it sooner or later.

It seems the 500ml bottle is adequate for most people so maybe that's what you can try and see how far it goes for you.
    I belong to a secret order. We all have OCD, so you’d better believe we have order.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I will go ahead and get the 1L bottle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
    Thanks guys, I will go ahead and get the 1L bottle

Post Thanks / Like

One BIG question...I have chrome bumpers and a chrome grille. Would I be alright to just avoid spraying these or do I have to actually completely cover any chrome up (which would be a total PITA)?

EDIT: Hmm...on their website it says it actually is safe on chrome trim...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast