autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dulled my cowl

Post Thanks / Like

Dulled my cowl

I guess i rubbed too hard. I made it worse. Now what do I do. I might have to buy a new one. It looks like crap
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dulled my cowl-1430086849214-jpg   Dulled my cowl-1430086886813-jpg   Dulled my cowl-1430086912782-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dulled my cowl

What products & application tools where you using when this happened? It looks stained - but not ruined.

Post Thanks / Like

Swanic's the DLux expert, it may be that a coating like that can even it out, not that I'm really seeing what you're getting at in the pictures, I see some spots under the wiper in the last pic.

Post Thanks / Like

I was using 1z deep plastic clean scrubbing with a 3 m sponge. One you'd clean dishes with. The pictures aren't doing it justice. Maybe I will just put dlux on it

Post Thanks / Like

Dulled my cowl

I'm still not sure what caused this. 1Z Plastic Cleaner is pretty good stuff - it didn't damage the plastic. Anything that is a "sponge" won't damage plastic (regardless what type of "sponge" it is)... What I usually use for deep cleaning plastic is Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner (or 1Z Plastic Cleaner) and a cotton towel (wash rag).

Anyway, it's messed up. Something is making it not look right. The choices are:

1. Replace it.

2. Try to fix it.

Honestly, I'd check the price of the part and how hard it is to replace. While you can likely "fix it", if the part is like $80 bucks and a couple of screws - why bother? If the part is like $400 - then you may want to try and fix it.

The way I would try to fix it is to clean it with a cotton towel (scrub and rinse multiple times), wipe it down with Eraser, and coat it with DLux.

I can't see using a "dressing" here, as its too much a PIA to frequently apply this. I DLux'ed both my wiper cowls about 2 years ago (one a preservation / one a restoration) and they both are holding up really well - only clean them with soap and they bead like crazy and look BLACK.

You just want to tape off the glass and use small pieces of sponge to apply it. The CarPro foam sticks are good for around the wiper arms (if your not removing them). It's also helpful to do as much as you can with the wipers at rest, then turn the car/wipers on and shut the car down when they are at 90° - so you have access to under the wiper resting points easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm gonna call honda just for the hellava it to see how much it costs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frankprozzoly View Post
    Thanks Steve I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm gonna call honda just for the hellava it to see how much it costs
    I have a Honda myself, Forgot the cost but they are pretty expensive. Kyle

Post Thanks / Like

Some Solution Finish might fix that.

Post Thanks / Like

3m sponge like 74c scrub sponge? That is the sponge one side and green scrub pad on the other. If so that's what did it. If I were you I'd try Geyon trim, or Opticoat gloss coat or GTech g4 trim. You abraded the surface and inho you need to coat the whole cowl to match.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35x View Post
    3m sponge like 74c scrub sponge? That is the sponge one side and green scrub pad on the other. If so that's what did it. If I were you I'd try Geyon trim, or Opticoat gloss coat or GTech g4 trim. You abraded the surface and inho you need to coat the whole cowl to match.
    I have some dlux. I'm just gonna coat it. What would you have used to scrub it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast