autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bodyshop Pinstriping HELP

Hey boys and girls I have a serious problem and I need some advice on what to do.
    When I bough my Crown Vic it came with painted on white pinstripes (over the clearcoat so probably dealer installed).
    Today I got sick of them as parts of them were fading so I wetsanded them off. I used 3M 2000 grit, then compounded with Carpro Fixer and polished with Carpro Reflect with my PC and Meg's 3" MF pads.
    Everything went well until I got to the drivers side rear quarter panel.
    When I bought the car I had that quarter panel repainted up to the gas tank door and blended, and as you can hopefully see in the photo, the bodyshop guy didn't fully remove the entire pinstripe before painting, so from the gas door back, the stripe he put on came off with the sandpaper no problem, but from the gas door up to the rear door, it fades from blue to white. And that white is the original pinstripe. Plus you can tell it was painted from the gas door back because of the change in orange peel.

Why he didn't full remove it is beyond me, but I can't sand it down without blowing through the paint.
    So I guess what happened is he didnt bother sanding the original stripe down on the area that wasnt repainted, so he put a new pinstripe over the original one and called it a day. I wouldn't have known this unless I sanded it down.
    The rest of the sanding went well, and unless you stick your face to the paint you won't be able to make out the ghosting of the original stripe. I MIGHT have been able to fix that but I didnt have the balls to sand down any further.

I am assuming this is going to need a repaint, but if anybody has any ideas on how I can avoid that, please share.

Cheers
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bodyshop Pinstriping HELP

And this is the stripe prior to compounding

Cheers
    Phil