autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

MTM Cannon - not working..?

I just got a gas pressure washer. The PW is a homelite 2700PSI I believe, 2.7 GPM...it was like 270 at homedepot a couple weeks back.

I was excited to get some foam.

After hooking up the MTM and trying it twice with about an inch of soap in the bottom the first time, second time with about 3-4 inches of soap (meguiars gold class I believe), I get weak suds, there are suds but very watery and they run down the car. Horrible result.

Is it the soap? What could I be doing wrong. The PW without the MTM seems to blast water no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MTM Cannon - not working..?

Did you adjust the black know on the top? That controls water to soap solution ratio.
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

The most common problems seem to be...

1. No suction tube connected
    2. Dirty/blocked filter

Post Thanks / Like

I did turn the knob. Maybe not enough? I had the hole attached it isn't that. Everything is brand new as well so I doubt it is a dirty filter. Maybe it is the knob adjustment I'll try again.

Post Thanks / Like

You may also need to try different soaps. Some soaps work much better than others. There is thread talking about these soaps a couple pages back.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same foamer and I use it in the full on soap position or I don't get clingy, thick foam. With my gas pressure washer and the soap on full the foam will cling for up to five minutes. Even with cheapo Costco soap.
    My snow foam lasts even longer.
    And yes, it goes through the bottle of soap very quickly. On a big car or SUV I have to refill it during the foaming.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some pressure washers don't play nice with foam cannons either. I had a Karcher that didn't produce foam right, and I tried it on a different pressure washer and it worked fine, same soap, and same foam cannon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    You may also need to try different soaps. Some soaps work much better than others.

IME gold class car wash works great in a bucket wash but not so much in a foam gun.
    to the OP - try experimenting with some different car washes.
    put out about 3 ounces in the bottle with warm water and give it a good shake right before use.
    also, make sure to adjust the spray pattern to your liking as well...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Warm water? Is this a requirement? I just used cold water from the hose. I did shake beforehand. 3oz seems like very little. In my use i am serious when i say i tried different mixes up to approximately 2/5ths full with soap. Maybe its the soap as you say. The want has attachments no adjustment. I was using the 40deg i believe. I'll post an update when i try next time.

I actually returned the PW, the pump was cycling and for something new it shouldnt do they. hD didnt have any more so i took the refund. Costco selling gas PWs right now so will check them out.

Post Thanks / Like

upgraded to a generac one wash. Way better than the homelite with the honda engine. This thing has a good kick to it. Had a 6 foot by 4 foot stump my excavator left in the front yard. I used it to blast all the clay off around the roots so I could chain saw it down into smaller pieces to burn. Nice unit. I put the MTM on it at the end just to see and I was getting foam finally. The knob on top helped. Didn't realize what it was for.

I think with a bit more soapy mix, it will foam up well. I'll get some better soap.