autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite questions and official answer

I posted this on Autopia also.
    I had some questions regarding Collinite products, so I went to the source.

Questions:
    I have used sealants ie. Zaino, Duragloss for a lot of years as Carnuba products have not lasted very long especially in the Phoenix area where ambient temps can range from 110-120. Sheet metal can range from 140-180. With all the rave reviews I decided to try your products. I completely cleaned the paint on my Wife's van that is a Desert Sand color and applied 3 coats of 845. I am working on the Gel Coat RV and applying 925, and have also purchased 920. The gel Coat is prestine at this time as I have already done the 3M Super Duty and Duragloss treatment, I am doing the 925 over DG sealants in hopes of warding away the typical oxidation. I have just ordered 476 and 885 to try those also. The main question I have is that I use Duragloss 932 with Aqua Wax which is a rinseless wash and adds sealant. Will this in any way affect your products if I continue doing this instead of a traditional wash. Can I add 476 and 885 over 845 and 925 with ou t compromising durability.

Thank you for your time and so far using only the 845 and 925 they appear to be excellent products and I will test the durability in the Desert as it is already in the 90's and will only go up. The monsoons here start around mid July and end some time in September with dust, rain and then the Sun. It will make for a good torture test. I really hope all of this Collinite hype is real as I would truly like it to succeed.

Dave
    Answer:
    Dave,

Thanks for the email. The rinseless wash should not affect the durability of the wax and adding the paste wax over the liquid wont compromise durability. Please let me know how the waxes hold up in your conditions and thanks for using Collinite.

-Mark

I know you guys use Collinite to ward off the winter salt. sand and brine. I am going to give it a try with the other extreme. I will try this coming weekend to 476 the hood, roof and rear hatch of the van and time permitting maybe the rest. I will also attempt 885 on the back of the RV, the Drivers side was just 925ed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite questions and official answer

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    I posted this on Autopia also.
    I had some questions regarding Collinite products, so I went to the source.

Questions:
    I have used sealants ie. Zaino, Duragloss for a lot of years as Carnuba products have not lasted very long especially in the Phoenix area where ambient temps can range from 110-120. Sheet metal can range from 140-180. With all the rave reviews I decided to try your products. I completely cleaned the paint on my Wife's van that is a Desert Sand color and applied 3 coats of 845. I am working on the Gel Coat RV and applying 925, and have also purchased 920. The gel Coat is prestine at this time as I have already done the 3M Super Duty and Duragloss treatment, I am doing the 925 over DG sealants in hopes of warding away the typical oxidation. I have just ordered 476 and 885 to try those also. The main question I have is that I use Duragloss 932 with Aqua Wax which is a rinseless wash and adds sealant. Will this in any way affect your products if I continue doing this instead of a traditional wash. Can I add 476 and 885 over 845 and 925 with ou t compromising durability.

Thank you for your time and so far using only the 845 and 925 they appear to be excellent products and I will test the durability in the Desert as it is already in the 90's and will only go up. The monsoons here start around mid July and end some time in September with dust, rain and then the Sun. It will make for a good torture test. I really hope all of this Collinite hype is real as I would truly like it to succeed.

Dave
    Answer:
    Dave,

Thanks for the email. The rinseless wash should not affect the durability of the wax and adding the paste wax over the liquid wont compromise durability. Please let me know how the waxes hold up in your conditions and thanks for using Collinite.

-Mark

I know you guys use Collinite to ward off the winter salt. sand and brine. I am going to give it a try with the other extreme. I will try this coming weekend to 476 the hood, roof and rear hatch of the van and time permitting maybe the rest. I will also attempt 885 on the back of the RV, the Drivers side was just 925ed.
    Thanks for doing this Dave. I also live in the "Valley of the Sun" and have 4 cars. Two of them have been with DG and Collinite 845. I maintain them with FC&S and AquaWax as needed. The other 2 cars have a Surface Coating from PBL topped with Collinite 845. I look forward to comparing my results with yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    Thanks for doing this Dave. I also live in the "Valley of the Sun" and have 4 cars. Two of them have been with DG and Collinite 845. I maintain them with FC&S and AquaWax as needed. The other 2 cars have a Surface Coating from PBL topped with Collinite 845. I look forward to comparing my results with yours.
    The van had 601/105 and 601/111 except the roof which was 601/105. About 8 months into this the roof was going south (Should have done the roof with 111). This van is 10 years old and outside 24/365. The van now sports 3 coats of 845 and looks very good. It will be interesting to see how it goes with 476. The RV went a year with 601/105 but I waited to long and had to compound that beast again. The RV does wear a cover some of the time so hopefully with the 601/105 and 601/111 in critical areas that oxidize faster and now Collinite over that it will last into next winter and I only need to re-apply the Collinite.
    I am in Tempe, where do you hang your hat ?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The van had 601/105 and 601/111 except the roof which was 601/105. About 8 months into this the roof was going south (Should have done the roof with 111). This van is 10 years old and outside 24/365. The van now sports 3 coats of 845 and looks very good. It will be interesting to see how it goes with 476. The RV went a year with 601/105 but I waited to long and had to compound that beast again. The RV does wear a cover some of the time so hopefully with the 601/105 and 601/111 in critical areas that oxidize faster and now Collinite over that it will last into next winter and I only need to re-apply the Collinite.
    I am in Tempe, where do you hang your hat ?

Dave
    I live in *Snots*dale. My son lives in Tempe and plays baseball in Tempe at ASU. My wife is a prof. at ASU also.
    I'm a noob at this stuff but I enjoy learning.

Post Thanks / Like

I've more recently suspected that some of Collinite's products are "doped"

Meaning, there's some proprietry formula and they ain't telling. Well, that's not a bad thing, their products work.

But I have lived through horrid Chi Town winters, owned a black Town Car, and after a 20 minute ride, and parking back in the garage, my car was totally white.

That's because to try to stave off 40 turds crashing at every intersection within the city proper on a 5 minute basis, they dump a metric ton of salt.

No matter what you put on a vehicle, this isn't good, and no matter what you apply, nothing will truly protect.

Only solution? Move to Sannibel Island Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have noticed with Collinite is...the paint has to be CLEAN and I mean squeeky clean! I have used 845 just after washing my car, and it's gone in no time flat...but if I clay, polish and IPA I get a winter of protection!

Post Thanks / Like

I know you guys use Collinite to ward off the winter salt. sand and brine. I am going to give it a try with the other extreme.
    I've been singing a similar tune for a loooong time.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    After taking into consideration the host of favorable
    Collinite #845 testimonials (that I've found to be so prevalent):

It appears, to me, that:
    There should be no rhyme-or-reason, whatsoever, to ever
    apply any other LSP (Last Step Product) upon any vehicles.
    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    I live in *Snots*dale.
    HA, sounds like a nice family.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 99monguse View Post
    One thing I have noticed with Collinite is...the paint has to be CLEAN and I mean squeeky clean! I have used 845 just after washing my car, and it's gone in no time flat...but if I clay, polish and IPA I get a winter of protection!
    That's true for any sealant right? Clean surface offers best bonding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ragas View Post
    That's true for any sealant right? Clean surface offers best bonding.

I live in Miami and we have some pretty intense sun here to. I have gotten 6mos durability from 845 with out a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast