autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

interior products to cover all upholstery carpet stain problems

I'm curious what a lot of people's go to products for different upholstery problems. Looking to make sure I have an answer to every problem. I've learned and experienced Chemical Guys Fabric Clean deal with a variety of stains very well. Are there situations which you would rather use Chemical Guys APC than the latter or a no rinse like Folex or Ultima Shampoo. Excited about triggering a discussion about interior cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: interior products to cover all upholstery carpet stain problems

As I've gathered, these are the general things one can include when one wants to clean something.

-Heat
    -Mechanical agitation
    -Solvent/Surfactant
    -Detergent; i.e. a chemical reaction with a stain. Oxidizer, saponifier, acid etc

Agitation and a solvent (water is a solvent after all) could be where it ends for for a basically clean material, but you just want to remove dust or something. Cheap and easy.

A healthy and benign step-up would be to cut the surface tension of the water with a surfactant, which is basically what "soap" does and then add heat to excite the molecules and help them "scrub" on a microscopic level.

Beyond that it depends on the stain. For the fabric surfaces which are going to always be subjected to greasy body parts or other objects, consider something containing phosphates (e.g. trisodium phosphate). It goes beyond just loosening the grease molecules (which is what surfactants do), but it chemically alters it with a high PH and basically turns greasy films to soap, and then allows it to come off. But on a slick surface, grease may come off just fine with a solvent.

Let's say there's a non-greasy stain...nail polish. Well, then you want to start thinking about hardcore solvents. Alcohol...acetone.

And then there's the consideration of the compatibility of your chemical with the surface which is stained. One would want to keep hard-core solvents (d-limonene or acetone) off of things like painted interior controls, or glued surfaces.

So...that's where a basic understanding of chemicals and materials comes in handy and reduces your exposure to liability.

Post Thanks / Like

Fabric Clean works well but is a pain in the a$$ to extract because it foams so much. I only use it on carpeted mats that I can rinse with a hose (rubber/plastic backed). For everything else I use Lightning Fast. I would guess it is similar to Folex but it dilutes 1:20 and at $10 for 16 oz., that is pretty cheap making 2.63 gallons or $3.80/gal.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

To clean:
    Meguiars D101
    Optimum power clean
    To maintain:
    Meguiars QID

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

I have done research on stains and information is really hard to come by.

I have found info on types of stains but not on products to use to remove them. There are several types of stains (protein, tanin, blood, sugar, etc) and no one product can deal with them all. I would love to find some info regarding this, so if someone has it, please share.

One thing I will mention is that many type of stains will become permanent if you apply heat to them. So unless you know exactly what type of stain it is and know it is safe, NEVER apply heat to a stain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

I have found info on types of stains but not on products to use to remove them. There are several types of stains (protein, tanin, blood, sugar, etc) and no one product can deal with them all. I would love to find some info regarding this, so if someone has it, please share.

One thing I will mention is that many type of stains will become permanent if you apply heat to them. So unless you know exactly what type of stain it is and know it is safe, NEVER apply heat to a stain.
    ABSOLUTLY the truth!

Thanx for bringing that up.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

That is particularly true of protein stains, where one could denature and harden it. Egg, for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

I've noticed the lack of information on this topic! It's a big part of my motivation to start this discussion. For a lot us you know we are really into taking care of paint. But for the average non autogeek it's about their very neglected interior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Fabric Clean works well but is a pain in the a$$ to extract because it foams so much. I only use it on carpeted mats that I can rinse with a hose (rubber/plastic backed). For everything else I use Lightning Fast. I would guess it is similar to Folex but it dilutes 1:20 and at $10 for 16 oz., that is pretty cheap making 2.63 gallons or $3.80/gal.
    I had that issue (getting the chemical out) with the Chemical Guys APC. I came back another day and used the Fabric Clean and applied a bit less to the seats than with the APC and finished with a shop vac. The results on the greased microfiber upholstery were good. I did just order a Fiber Rinse product to make this process more effective in the future