autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation New Truck - Need Care & Detailing Advice!

***This post is a bit long, but I really appreciate those of you who take the time to read it.

Hey guys,

I will be getting my new 2014 F-150 XLT Crew Cab Ecoboost (4x4) this weekend. I want to take care of this truck as best I can. I am very OCD about my possessions and I take a lot of pride in keeping them all in good shape. In fact, my 2004 FX4 (being sold) is in incredible shape. The interior looks like it just came off the showroom floor. The exterior is in awesome shape as well, BUT there is some decent oxidation on the roof of the truck. Some of this was already there from the previous owner (I bought the truck with 80,000 miles on it). The rest I blame on the grueling Arizona sun.

I have read the detailing sticky on the F150Online forums and have read some of the stuff here. There is A LOT of information on here and it can be quite overwhelming.

Anyways, I am coming here to ask you guys some general questions about care and detailing:

1. Should I wash, clay bar, wax, etc the truck when I first get it or is this unnecessary?

2. How often do you guys clay bar and wax your vehicles?

I am a college student who is graduating in May - I don't have a lot of cash to buy the finest detailing products out there. This is NOT to say that I wouldn't mind stepping up to something a little better. Here is what I currently have or have used in the past.

Body:
    Meguiar's Gold Class Wash
    Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
    Mothers Synthetic Wax
    Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit (I need to buy another clay bar kit as this one is quite old)
    Meguiar's Scratch-X (never had to really actually use this)

Wheels:
    Armor All Extreme Wheel Cleaner (this stuff is ehh) - I really lack a good wheel cleaner
    No Touch Seriously Wet (my favorite tire shine - looks awesome if you spray and then wipe off excess)

Engine Bay:
    Simple Green, etc - I avoid cleaning the engine bay too aggressively.

Interior:
    Folex - best cloth seat and carpet cleaner I have ever used
    Soapy wash cloth to wipe off interior
    Shop Vac
    Interior detail spray - usually I have something sitting around, but haven't focused on finding a good interior detail spray (I have used Turtle Wax and Meguiars).

I do plan on getting a nice DA orbital polisher such as the Griot's, but this could be a year or two from now.

I need to buy a good wash mitt, wax applicator pads, microfiber towels, grit guard, clay bar kit, a good wheel cleaner, a good interior detail spray (that is SAFE) and possibly some new waxes.

I am sure I have missed some stuff here, but if you guys have ANY suggestions on some reasonably priced products for my above needs please let me know! If I am missing something that you think I should own please let me know! Maybe you guys recommend a nice starter kit from here?

FINAL NOTE: This truck WILL NOT be garaged as of right now. I will be moving to an apartment in the next six months and it is unclear whether or not I will have covered parking, a garage, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Truck - Need Care & Detailing Advice!

A good protectant for any of the exterior plastic trim is an absolute must as well here in Arizona!

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

1. welcome, yes do everything to a new truck. Even though its new,it will still be dirty.
    2. I usually clay and wax when it needs it. I use a 1 year wax called collinite 476s which is great value. Then when I strip it, I will then clay.
    3. 303 aerospace gets my vote. great product to use
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

I like Carpro Dlux for trim I put it on my mustangs faded trim in cowl about 8 months ago and is still looks new. The car is never garaged and sits in the Texas sun!
    IDA-CD
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

So...what I am really trying to get from this thread is some good product recommendatons/kits from you guys. I have identified that I need the following:

Wash mitt
    Wheel and tire cleaner
    Wheel brush (this probably isn't needed)
    Car wash soap (if I want to replace MG Gold Class)
    Microfiber towels
    Clay Bar Kit
    Wax applicators
    Wax (although I already have the above waxes mentioned in my first post)
    Interior detail spray
    Plastic trim protectant - I will take your recommendations of 303 Aerospace as that is mentioned in the "How-to" detail section on this site.

I am trying to be very conscientious of my limited funds in buying these products...

Post Thanks / Like

Since its a new to you vehicle id clay it. The clay you choose is up to you. I like meguiars mild. But i use nanoskin fine often. The problem with the nanoskin in my experience is it leaves very fine scratches so i only use it if im polishing.

Because you are tight on money some what here is what i will recommend as they are products i regularly use and is IMO the best bang for your buck.

Wax- Collinite 845. This stuff lasts a long time when used right and on top of that it is the best wax i have ever used. The shine rivals some of the boutique waxes and it lasts a very long time. Application and removal is also easy to use. For the price you will not find a better wax that offeres the amount of shine and protection collinite 845 does.

Plastic protection- 303 areospace is a great choice. If you are looking for protection as well as shine. If you are looking for a dressing i recommend meguiars hyper dressing. Hyper dressing can be diluted and is water based and $40 buys a gallon that will last the avg home detailer likely a year. It also can be used on everything except paint.

Cleaner/de-greaser- Meguiars APC or go to any dollar store and pick up LA totally awesome. Megs APC is like $20 a gallon and also can be diluted which when used properly will also last you about a year. But if you like to run your products to the last drop and then get too lazy to place an order LA totally awsome is surprisingly very good and is readily available.

MF towels- You can easily take this area well over $100 very quick. I say get one large waffle weeve drying towel and a dozen wax removal towels. Then go to costco and get the big bag of kirkland mf towels for things like applying dressing and what not.

If you are short on funds to the tune of less then $100 your list should look like this

Collinite 845
    303 areospace
    LA totally awesome
    Then some wax applicators that are foam not MF and then some MF towels.

That will hold you over for a little while. Then just buy things here and there. Not very many of us bought every thing we will ever need on our first order. Most of us bought a couple products here and a couple there and built our arsenal over a year or so. So dont get discouraged because you cant afford something you really want or you are gonna have to wait a little while to get a premium wash mit. Over time you will pick them up.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome thanks for the help - what do you recommend as a cleaner wax before the Collinite?

Post Thanks / Like

CG Silk is still my all time favorite interior detailer, then 303 would be second.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, talked to a guy on the phone at Autogeek and ordered a bunch of detailing stuff! Thanks for the help!