autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

APC's vs tire cleaners

I usually use M101 or CG All Clean or some other APC to get the tires prepped for a sealant. Are dedicated tire cleaners really worth it or should I just go with a stronger dilution of APC?
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: APC's vs tire cleaners

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    Are dedicated tire cleaners really worth it or should I just go with a stronger dilution of APC?
    I can't answer the value proposition for you. But for me, I know that even after using APC multiple passes, I can still get stuff off of my tires with Tuf Shine tire cleaner. It's expensive, so I went ahead and got the gallon concentrate to save money over the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you know what I'm going to say but IMO APC can work just as well for tires.
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    I think you know what I'm going to say but IMO APC can work just as well for tires.
    IMO dedicated tire cleaners are nothing more than a strong degreaser in a fancy bottle.."Marketing"

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Dedicated tire cleaners contain a component that is not found in all purpose cleaners, which is what makes them so effective at deep cleaning tires.

This same component is harmful for surfaces intended to be cleaned with an APC (ie: leather, vinyl, etc), which is why an APC does NOT contain this key ingredient.

If you don't plan on coating your tires, then you can get away with using an APC for routine cleaning, however choose your cleaner wisely as some APCs are caustic and what you think is dirt that's being removed from the tire is actually vital antiozonants and rubber conditioners leaching out from the surface due to the aggressiveness of the cleaner being used.

Keep in mind if you clean your vehicle every weekend, it's not necessary to clean the tires every single time you wash the car, especially if you apply a tire gel/spray on a regular basis. If and when you do use an APC to clean your tires as part of routine maintenance, dilute it 1:10 (or whatever the recommended dilution ratio is for "mild" strength). There's no need to use it full strength.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    IMO dedicated tire cleaners are nothing more than a strong degreaser in a fancy bottle.."Marketing"
    Degreasers and tire cleaners do have some commonalities from a chemistry standpoint, however there are several differences (how about that?), so they're not considered the "same" by any means.

If you think it's just marketing, and it helps you sleep at night, then continue using a degreaser in place of a tire cleaner. I wouldn't recommend using it on expensive summer tires (think Michelin Pilot Sport or Bridgestone Potenza) as it can do more harm than good.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what you are doing in all honesty. An APC works well. A dedicated tire cleaner works quicker. If you are only doing your own vehicle and have the money to spend on a dedicated tire cleaner it wont disappoint. If you are a detailer the cost of tire cleaner for your run of the mill detail does not make much sense when APC works good and can do multiple things not just tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Degreasers and tire cleaners do have some commonalities from a chemistry standpoint, however there are several differences (how about that?), so they're not considered the "same" by any means.

If you think it's just marketing, and it helps you sleep at night, then continue using a degreaser in place of a tire cleaner. I wouldn't recommend using it on expensive summer tires (think Michelin Pilot Sport or Bridgestone Potenza) as it can do more harm than good.
    I've done it on what you call expensive summer tires for years with no ill effects. Remember Nick, I have tire brushes older than you. BTW what would you call Amazing Roll Off? I love that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I've done it on what you call expensive summer tires for years with no ill effects. Remember Nick, I have tire brushes older than you. BTW what would you call Amazing Roll Off? I love that stuff.
    I'm going by personal experience (remember, young eyes), and dozens of customers that I've encountered over the years that have had issues using heavy-duty degreasers on performance tires.

I'm sure you're familiar with the saying...

Find something you like and use it often.

Amazing Roll-Off is a very unique product. I would consider it an all purpose cleaner with a little extra something thrown in (only the manufacturers know what that is). It's safe enough to use on vinyl tops, which is a big no-no for degreasers because they will remove the coating on the vinyl, yet it's also strong enough to clean tires. Somehow, it leaves a "rust inhibiting wax-like finish" that resists dirt as well. Amazing Roll-Off has a very loyal following, and for good reason.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Nick@Autogeek;1239046]
    Find something you like and use it often.

I have and I do. Wonder where I've heard that before?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast