autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Car, First time "Detailing"

I like D114 for it's cleaning properties on paint and wash media ^^
    me like to keep things simple so my only dilution for D114 is 1:9 in a spray bottle. Light dust/dirt I spray on panel and use Michael stoops waterless wash method.
    Heavy dirt/road film I rinse with pressure wash / hose and follow by above method.
    A lot had said it is not wax friendly at that ratio but I only use it on sealant or coated paint nowadays Lol ^^
    For your questions, I would have use
    Heavy dirt~ 1:100
    Light dirt ~ 1:200
    Easy calculation?
    in a bucket with grid guard? and follow with Meguiars D156 every rinseless wash.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teach Me How To Take Care of my First Car

Trek, I didnt know I could polish by hand, I was very wary of polishing since Im quite the noob. Ill research how to hand polish now. So would this be a good place to start?
    D114 wash
    D155 1:1 nanoskin decontaminate
    Hand polish with researched product.
    D156 spray wax

Am i missing a step?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheAverageMan View Post
    Trek, I didnt know I could polish by hand, I was very wary of polishing since Im quite the noob. Ill research how to hand polish now. So would this be a good place to start?
    D114 wash
    D155 1:1 nanoskin decontaminate
    Hand polish with researched product.
    WAX/Seal with quality wax or sealant My Opinion=Ultimate Wax Paste or Liquid
    D156 spray wax

Am i missing a step?
    While some spray waxes have decent durability, they can't compare to a regular wax/sealant in terms of protection/longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so after researching bit, Ive come up with these two.

Meguiars M205 Ultra finishing polish.
    Meguiars #21Synthetic sealant.

I ran into Meguiars M105, but thought it would be overkill on a brand new car. Am I correct in assuming this?

So it would look like this.
    D114 wash
    D155 Nanoskin decontaminate
    M205 polish for marring and scratches?
    Meguiars #21 sealant
    D156 spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so after researching bit, Ive come up with these two.

Meguiars M205 Ultra finishing polish.
    Meguiars #21Synthetic sealant.

I ran into Meguiars M105, but thought it would be overkill on a brand new car. Am I correct in assuming this?

So it would look like this.
    D114 wash
    D155 Nanoskin decontaminate
    M205 polish for marring and scratches?
    Meguiars #21 sealant
    D156 spray wax. optional
    You are KIND OF correct in thinking the M105 may be too aggressive for a "new" car's finish. Only after doing a "test spot" will you know if the M205 has enough cut or if you have to go more aggressive. So I would try the M205 with a cutting pad or a coarser applicator and see if that is the best starting point.

I only say the D156 is optional, because if you have wax smearing or uneven areas, you can use the D156 to help buff the areas & even out the finish. Otherwise if you want to apply the D156 "just because" go for it. Just know it MAY affect the curing of the sealant if applied right away, although I don't think the general consensus has come to a definite opinion on this.

I personally use Ultimate Quik Detailer as a drying agent after washes followed by an application of Ultimate Quik Wax (D156).

Post Thanks / Like

Is Ultimate Quick Detailer also D155? I think Ive read that before.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Ultimate Quick Detailer also D155? I think Ive read that before.
    I don't think that Meg's had an equivalent to Ultimate Quick Detailer in the Professional line. D155 is their 'Final Touch' quick detailer, it has no protective qualities and is body shop safe, but I don't see why it couldn't also be used as a drying aid. I know they don't have an equivalent to the Ultimate Wax (liquid OR paste). I stick primarily to the consumer line simply because it's easier to get and with as little product that is actually needed, I don't really need the larger bottles of the Professional line.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Car, First time "Detailing"

I matain my car weekly depending on weather conditions..I start off with rims & tires before anything else then I'll use a pre soak let it sit for a min then rinse next step I would use a high quality shampoo *Tip* wash in straight lines working from top to bottom if your wash device becomes dirty after a few passes rinse it good as to you don't want to install scratches or swirls..the 2 bucket method is always an option if you decide to use water just one bucket with your car shampoo the other with clean water to rinse your mitt often..I'm not fimilar with rinseless washing..but hope this helps if not I do apologize my dad owns a white 2012 Honda fit S so I can relate I detail his car weekly as well..again some other options to keep in mind just in case you change your mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Also forgot to mention after you wash and dry your vehicle some other options is glazes,sealants,waxes they would go in that order for best results..for wheels and tires use water-based dressings or acid free wheel cleaners.

Post Thanks / Like

Don M, and everyone, thank you for all the information.

I'm hitting the 200ish limit of my budget here, and I'll have to hold off on the M205, #21 Sealant, DA, and pads purchase.

I plan to do that with my next big purchase from AG. Maybe for a six month or year's time of ownership for a good touch up on the car. I also plan to get some other bulk stuff for the long haul. Like.
    D120 Glass cleaner
    D115 Wash and Wax
    D170 Hyper dressing

As of now, I still have the following.
    D114 Wash
    D155 Last Touch
    D156 Spray Wax

I already have my Nanoskin sponge on hand, but I don't want to wreck my paint with the marring that you guys warned me about. I guess I'll leave that alone for now.

I should be fine, for now with being able to wash my car and applying spray wax on it. Until I make my 2nd large purchase at least.

By the way, I went to Home Depot and got a HDX Spray bottle, and a Flo Master hand pump compression bottle spray thing. Tested them, and I'm excited for my D114 to arrive now.

Also, for window and glass care, I got some questions.
    I plan to buy a bottle of Stoners Invisible Glass as a quick fix for now until I can get some D120.
    I have 6 specific MF glass towels.

What should I do with these? I also want to buy the Stoners Anti Fog stuff that I saw at Target, is it worth it?

Should I wash the car, spray wax, then wash the windows inside and out with Stoners?

Or should I wash the car, use Stoners, then Spray wax?

Can I use my Nanoskin on the front windshield with D155 without having to polish it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast