autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2012 Acura TSX Exhaust Tip Cleaning

Hi everyone

Pretty new to the detailing world and wanted to also include exhaust tips to my routine.

I haven't ever done it before and was wondering if anyone had any specific experience with the exhaust tips for the 2nd generation Acura TSX, or similar types of exhaust on other vehicles.

Which products work well on it?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 Acura TSX Exhaust Tip Cleaning

All purpose cleaner or dedicated wheel cleaner and Daytona brush if you have really dirty exhaust tips. Soap and Daytona brush if they aren't too dirty.

If the metal is oxidized (black that won't come off with cleaning) you'll need 0000 steel wool or some kind of applicator for metal polish.
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwinwng View Post
    Hi everyone

Pretty new to the detailing world and wanted to also include exhaust tips to my routine.

I haven't ever done it before and was wondering if anyone had any specific experience with the exhaust tips for the 2nd generation Acura TSX, or similar types of exhaust on other vehicles.

Which products work well on it?

Thanks.
    I have the same car (2010) and use an APC, followed by P21S Polishing soap, followed by P21S finish restorer.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There are some of the black oxidation on the inside of the exhaust. Would I use the a APC with the 0000 steel wool for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never polished the tips on my ST. Ive got an apc, ps21 and some #0000 steel wool. Am i missing anything?

Post Thanks / Like

There are some of the black oxidation on the inside of the exhaust. Would I use the a APC with the 0000 steel wool for that?
    Maybe... don't know until you try. Really can go either way. Although I don't typically use steel wool with APC.
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

i use an old MF and Mothers metal polish for that stuff. works fine. Mothers metal polish is pretty course stuff but because of the solvent base and rouge abrasive...it's a good combo for the dirty inner edges and such.

but regarding the outer parts of the tips, including the outer lips, for things i can't hit with a machine, i've really been liking Sunshine polishing cloths. i started using them as a non-messy, effective way to finely polish our wedding rings and some watches. i noticed how fine they polished but actually cut pretty well at the same time.

so i started using them for bare polished pieces in detailing, esp. tips. i really like them if i'm planning on coating because they don't leave any protection. i say that because Optimum metal polish works very well but is messy and leaves its own form of protection that i've been told is pretty robust, thus, concerns me a bit if i'm planning on coating. a lot of other polishes on the market are just rouges in solvent, so they are messy and don't finish down well enough for me.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    I have the same car (2010) and use an APC, followed by P21S Polishing soap, followed by P21S finish restorer.
    +1. The only thing I'd add is a coat of BF Wet Diamond Metal Acrylic Sealant to make future cleanings a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    another +1. I'll add there are several good videos on this on youtube (one in particular is by a detailing shop in Canada). You don't have to use the same products they do in the video, but pay attention to the concepts: APC->(need more cleaning) 0000 and p21s (works great btw)-> metal polish and then seal.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 09 TSX and use Collinite Metal Wax with a terry cloth towel on mine with decent results. They were pretty bad when I got the car, but they never needed steel wool. They came back nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast