autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

dealer hurt my black paint

So I got my new black truck from dealer. They put on zurich shield free from dealer. He stated they had to clay bar truck. Looking at the truck and scratched on both rear corner panels also sealed in something in rear passenger doors, feels like tiny bumps on my fingers. I am not sure if it is from sap or something in clear coat.
    The pinstripes are peeling with fiders under and stuck to pinstripe tape. I guess from there buffer. And some pretty good scratches on driver door they look deep..

I do not want to take back to them to tare up more. Any recommendations?

I've looked in to maguiers black wax and BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Montan Sealant. I currently own meguiars mirror glaze yellow wax 26, new car glaze 5, ultimate compound , mothers California gold showtime spray and wizards mist and shine. The dealer also gave me a zurich shield box of stuff with paint sealent and car wash concentrate..

Thanks for any and all help

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: dealer hurt my black paint

Take it back if you just got it. If the pin stripe is coming off now, what is it going to look like in 6 months or a year!? Tell them it needs fixed. if you try and fix it yourself and jack it up, its on you, they will say it was you all along.

Post Thanks / Like

Wax will not fix your issues, compound will most likely remove the Zurich Shield (whatever that is) and your pinstripe is messed up. Why not take it back if your unsatified? Have you looked at the truck in direct sunlight?

Mike Phillips

This is what I've been calling a Dealership Horror Story all my online life.

I've helped people to take back brand new cars and either get their money back or get a different new car that the dealership hasn't hacked up.

Just depends on what you want to do.

Considering the factory clear coat paint on your brand new truck is thinner than a post it note.

AND to remove swirls and scratches THEY put in YOU or someone has to REMOVE perfectly good paint to level the surface and thus remove the defects meaning the thin paint you just bought will now be even THINNER.

I consider this a personal property crime.

Do you know what a brand new quality paint job costs? Even if a car needs ZERO body work?

$3000.00 for an average size passenger car and that price goes up as the size of the vehicle goes up.

Here's an article I wrote just to help people grasp how thin the factory paint is on their brand new car, truck or suv.

Mike Phillips

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

The majority of cars being manufactured today and starting since the 1980's use what's called a basecoat/clearcoat paint system. With this system, a clear layer of paint is sprayed over the top of the basecoat which is also the color coat or the layer of paint that has pigment in it. If the car has a metallic finish then the metallic flakes are also in the basecoat.

The basecoat doesn't offer any gloss or shine and in fact it's dull or matte looking after it's sprayed. The basecoat gets it's gloss, shine, depth and reflectivity by the spraying of the clearcoat layer of paint over the top of it. This is why if a person removes too much clearcoat when buffing and they expose the basecoat it will appear to be a dull round or oval spot on a body panel. The part of the paint system that adds beauty has been removed revealing the dull or matte basecoat layer of paint.

Just how thin is the clear layer of paint on a factory paint job?

The factory clearcoat on a new or modern car measures approximately 2 mils thin.

The average post-it not is around 3 mils thin.

What does this mean?

This means the factory clearcoat on a new or modern car is thinner than a post-it note.

The next time you have a post-it note in front of you, feel a single post-it note between your fingers. Like this...

This experience will drive home the point as to just how thin the clear layer of paint is on modern car with a factory paint job.

It should also drive home the importance of using the least aggressive pad, product and even tools to get the job done.

When I say, get the job done, the context of this usually means someone is buffing out a car to remove paint defects like swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation to make the paint and thus the car look better.

By using the least aggressive products you "get the job done" while leaving the most paint on the car to it will last over the mechanical service life of the car.

If you're working on your own cars and you're reading this you're already ahead of the game by reading the AGO forum and probably being a member so you can ask questions and get help.

If you're working on customer's cars take a professional approach as a service to your customers.

If you're reading this and you're going to do the work yourself or hire a detailer then do some research and make sure you hire a detailer that knows this type of stuff because the factory clearcoat on your car is thin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Wax will not fix your issues, compound will most likely remove the Zurich Shield (whatever that is) and your pinstripe is messed up. Why not take it back if your unsatified? Have you looked at the truck in direct sunlight?
    Agree. Wax isn't the cure.

It will take at least a polish to get the coating off so you can get rid of the sap. The scratches will be a different issue based on their depth.

From a product standpoint the Ultimate Compound is a start, but you may not need something that harsh. Ultimate Polish is less aggressive and a good starting point. On ab black vehicle, if you use the compound you'll most likely need to follow up with the polish anyway to get the best shine.

This situation is one I hate getting into with anything dealership/warranty related. The dealership should be held accountable and make their work right...yet you know they won't and there is a possibility of the problem getting worse if they try again.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Take it back ASAP. The longer you wait the more leverage they have to NOT help you. If you wait they will give you some line that YOU are responsible for any damage and charge you out the a$$ for it.
    2007 Chevy Equinox
    2008 Saturn Outlook

Post Thanks / Like

Get it inspected by a pro detailer (get a quote) then go back to the dealership and demand some help.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did get a hold of the dealer today and he said to bring it in and they will take care of it. Now the pinstripe I believe they can handle.

The scratches I worry they will only make worse. Some are very light and one is pretty bad.

I did look at the truck in direct sunlight, that's how I notice the scratches. Then started looking more carefully and noticed the pinstripe peeling and all these fibers stuck to pinstripe and pulled edges.

Thank you everyone for advice and info.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike conowingo View Post
    I did get a hold of the dealer today and he said to bring it in and they will take care of it. Now the pinstripe I believe they can handle.

The scratches I worry they will only make worse. Some are very light and one is pretty bad.

I did look at the truck in direct sunlight, that's how I notice the scratches. Then started looking more carefully and noticed the pinstripe peeling and all these fibers stuck to pinstripe and pulled edges.

Thank you everyone for advice and info.

Mike
    i've never let them do the work to remove the paint damage...noooo way. i'd find a very reputable pro and get an estimate and then take that to them. you can escalate it if need be if they give you too much grief - i believe you'll be able to get something done to your liking in some capacity, but yeah - srsly, think hard before letting them try to correct the paint issues.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast