autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeling my age

Post Thanks / Like

Feeling my age

I'm 55 and have been detailing part time for the past 4 years or so. Today I washed, dried, compounded, polished and waxed my 2001 Grand Prix. Took me 4 hours and turned out really nice, but I'm feeling my age.

How old is too old to detail cars? I'd like to make a few bucks detailing, but what good is it if I need 2-3 days to recover from each job?

What do you "mature" detailers do to keep the ravages of time in check?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feeling my age

I am 54 (in about 5 weeks) and I just finished working on a Large Cadillac Escalade SUV. The long version. It took about 9 - 10 hours. Washed, Clayed (nanoskin blue), compounded the front 1/3 (the rest just needed polish), polished, sealant and waxed.

I stretch my legs, calves and most of my body before I start. Additionally, I hydrated myself quite a bit. I think the hydrating is the key.

I really thought I was going to feel the pain. However, I am ok. I think the best thing to do is keep hydrated. I went through 6 - 8 cans of Dasani soda water.

From one OLD man to another, I think that is the key. The time before it took a little longer to recover and I worked on a 2007 Shelby GT significantly smaller than the Escalade. I did not keep hydrated and cramped up a few times.

This time I knew I was going to work on a beast and I wanted to make sure I was hydrated.

Here are a few pics of the job I did this weekend. NOTE: He had his center caps stolen a few days ago. KEEP HYDRATED
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feeling my age-cadillac-suv-polish-angel-003-jpg   Feeling my age-cadillac-suv-polish-angel-019-jpg   Feeling my age-cadillac-suv-polish-angel-015-jpg   Feeling my age-cadillac-suv-polish-angel-012-jpg  
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwgreen6 View Post
    I'm 55 and have been detailing part time for the past 4 years or so. Today I washed, dried, compounded, polished and waxed my 2001 Grand Prix. Took me 4 hours and turned out really nice, but I'm feeling my age.

How old is too old to detail cars? I'd like to make a few bucks detailing, but what good is it if I need 2-3 days to recover from each job?

It's not just your age. Properly doing detailing is hard on anyone. Any full time detailer who works a full day and goes home not feeling anything..is lying.. heh.

This is a major concern for me looking at going into the field full time. I'm 26 but I realize having many family members in the trades how much it can toll your body.

For polishing / compounding, I'm looking at the Rupes system for the lack of pressure you have to put on the machine as well as how smooth (non taxing) their tools are.

I use Megs wheel brightener on any wheel that is safe for it to be used on (less time on knees).

I use a steamer to blast out spots on carpet, upholstery, glass, and in general it saves me a lot of physical effort.

I use tools specifically meant for pet hair removal, etc.

Right now I'm working on a telescoping "brush/not-a-brush" to save my back.

It's all about using your head whenever possible. If I get to the point of needing a shop, you bet your cookies Im getting a lift so I can polish at chest-level all the time! No more contortionist positions on the floor / stool.

For me it's not about being the quickest but I can do a few cars and not feel it in my body.

Just some ideas.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Sir, I just want to get this straight. You washed your car, dried the car, compounded the car, polished the car and waxed the car, all in 4 hours?

Post Thanks / Like

Hydrate the day before not the day of. I also eat a snack between steps something under 200 cal. Stretching and foam rolling really helps too! I also work on rolling chair when doing side panels. Throw the extension over your shoulder not only prevents marring on the paint but also significantly helps on the weight of the polisher on vertical panels!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
    Sir, I just want to get this straight. You washed your car, dried the car, compounded the car, polished the car and waxed the car, all in 4 hours?
    That is very doable. My buddies 2007 Shelby GT was done in about the same time (about 4 hours).

The flex 3401 will make that so.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    I am 54 (in about 5 weeks) and I just finished working on a Large Cadillac Escalade SUV. The long version. It took about 9 - 10 hours. Washed, Clayed (nanoskin blue), compounded the front 1/3 (the rest just needed polish), polished, sealant and waxed.

I stretch my legs, calves and most of my body before I start. Additionally, I hydrated myself quite a bit. I think the hydrating is the key.

I really thought I was going to feel the pain. However, I am ok. I think the best thing to do is keep hydrated. I went through 6 - 8 cans of Dasani soda water.

From one OLD man to another, I think that is the key. The time before it took a little longer to recover and I worked on a 2007 Shelby GT significantly smaller than the Escalade. I did not keep hydrated and cramped up a few times.

This time I knew I was going to work on a beast and I wanted to make sure I was hydrated.

Here are a few pics of the job I did this weekend. NOTE: He had his center caps stolen a few days ago. KEEP HYDRATED
    Nice job. I have a question for you. I am about to tackle the same job here shortly but it will be my own vehicle. What polisher and pads did you use to complete the job? How did you do the top of the vehicle with the ridges. I want to ensure I'm prepared when I start so everything goes well. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Work out work out work out... at least 3 times a week. It seems counterintuitive but it really does help. I am 43 and work as an industrial mechanic with a bunch of 20yo's and at the end of a 10 hour shift they are all beat, not me I am pretty fresh and can still skip steps going upstairs to the shop to get ready to go home. When they catch up they are out of breath and everything. It makes a huge difference.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
    Yep. Started at 2 pm rinsing, washing the tires and rims, foamed the car, scrubbed by hand, rinsed and dried. Compounded and polished with my DeWalt DWP845X. Applied wax with my Cyclo, wiped by hand, finishing around 6 pm. I spent another 30 - 45 min washing windows, dressing tires (I love spray-on dressing for quick-n-easy), dressing the plastic trim and final clean-up from polish sling (doh!) so maybe it was closer to 7 PM when I finished. I didn't do anything with the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

Kamakaz1961 -- Funny thing you posted about working on an Escalade. I have 4 coming up in two weeks. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can handle. I agree that keeping hydrated is important and may be a key to my "feeling my age". When I work on a project like this, I tend to get on task to the point of ignoring the basics of taking care of myself.

The DeWalt DWP849X was a handful. I think I'll stick with my Cyclo.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Started at 2 pm rinsing, washing the tires and rims, foamed the car, scrubbed by hand, rinsed and dried. Compounded and polished with my DeWalt DWP845X. Applied wax with my Cyclo, wiped by hand, finishing around 6 pm. I spent another 30 - 45 min washing windows, dressing tires (I love spray-on dressing for quick-n-easy), dressing the plastic trim and final clean-up from polish sling (doh!) so maybe it was closer to 7 PM when I finished. I didn't do anything with the interior.

Kamakaz1961 -- Funny thing you posted about working on an Escalade. I have 4 coming up in two weeks. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can handle. I agree that keeping hydrated is important and may be a key to my "feeling my age". When I work on a project like this, I tend to get on task to the point of ignoring the basics of taking care of myself.

The DeWalt DWP849X was a handful. I think I'll stick with my Cyclo.
    You sir are the man and it takes me almost 3 1/2 hours to just compound a mid size car only. It takes me another 3 1/2 hours to polish and 3 1/2 hours additional to wax. All while using my Porter Cable 7424 XP DA!

This doesn't even include me washing and clay with nanoskin mitt. I'm 40 years old with no disabilities and after hearing how fast you detail, I really suck. Ha ha ha.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast