autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for a beginner

Hello all. New member here. My name is Billy. i recently just got into a new car (2015 BMW M4). I have always been picky about my cars, but have just used "regular" subpar equipment, which was ok, but now im really into the whole detailing thing. I went to my local detailing store and got the following:

adams car shampoo
    Wookie Mitt
    Sonax wheel cleaner
    Sonax Indutrial fallout cleaner
    Collonite Wax
    Soft Claybar

the problem is there are no store around me with proper drying equipment. Im not sure if I should buy a metro vac sidekick, or if really good microfiber towels will do. What microfiber towels do you suggest for drying? How about for spray wax/detailer? How about for paste wax removal? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for a beginner

If you are already here and have found AutoGeek, i love the large waffle weave microfiber drying towels on their site. My black BMW 335 loves them too!

If you're on the fence about a blow drying method, don't be. I use a blower first to get the majority of the water off after a wash and then blot dry with my WW MF towels. Be aware that the friction passes involved with washing and drying are the real scratch inducers. Less friction = less marring.

Oh, and welcome to the best darn detailing site in the known universe. And congrats on a beautiful new race car!

Post Thanks / Like

Billy, first and foremost to AGO

Congrats on your purchase, you can get a lot of suggestions here as to how to keep your baby looking good. As it was stated to me when I first started into doing this on my own vehicles, like you I like to have them looking good. Before making suggestions to you, it would be best to understand if your doing this on a personal vehicle or vehicles or your looking at getting into the business to control your expenses and determine what your budget will be.

To answer your questions: I do this on my personal vehicles, close friends and neighbors, so it is a hobby for me, but make a little pocket change. I bought a cheap electric leaf blower online that I use to dry my vehicles or a good quality waffle weave drying towel. AGO has plenty of these and I have purchased a couple that I really like and use often also.
    I have also bought some cheap microfibers at Costco, used them to do wax removal and work pretty well. I have also purchased some better quality through AGO that I use on others higher line vehicles. Wait for the sales and you can get some good deals.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

For a drying towel, I use the Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy towel. It is works great and is very soft. I highly recommend it. For a drying aid, I use Meguiars Quick Detailer and for a spray wax, I use Meguiars D156.
    It's more than a car...Keep it clean

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    If you are already here and have found AutoGeek, i love the large waffle weave microfiber drying towels on their site. My black BMW 335 loves them too!

If you're on the fence about a blow drying method, don't be. I use a blower first to get the majority of the water off after a wash and then blot dry with my WW MF towels. Be aware that the friction passes involved with washing and drying are the real scratch inducers. Less friction = less marring.

Oh, and welcome to the best darn detailing site in the known universe. And congrats on a beautiful new race car!
    awesome!! thanks for the advice!! Ill definitely be looking into some blowers to decrease the drying time and increase paint safety

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmanjohn View Post
    Billy, first and foremost to AGO

Congrats on your purchase, you can get a lot of suggestions here as to how to keep your baby looking good. As it was stated to me when I first started into doing this on my own vehicles, like you I like to have them looking good. Before making suggestions to you, it would be best to understand if your doing this on a personal vehicle or vehicles or your looking at getting into the business to control your expenses and determine what your budget will be.

To answer your questions: I do this on my personal vehicles, close friends and neighbors, so it is a hobby for me, but make a little pocket change. I bought a cheap electric leaf blower online that I use to dry my vehicles or a good quality waffle weave drying towel. AGO has plenty of these and I have purchased a couple that I really like and use often also.
    I have also bought some cheap microfibers at Costco, used them to do wax removal and work pretty well. I have also purchased some better quality through AGO that I use on others higher line vehicles. Wait for the sales and you can get some good deals.
    Thanks for the advice Bill!! This is just for my own personal car and when I help friends or family. Ill definitely be looking into blowers, just not sure if I want to go the leaf blower route or get the metrovac sidekick

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMW435 View Post
    For a drying towel, I use the Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy towel. It is works great and is very soft. I highly recommend it. For a drying aid, I use Meguiars Quick Detailer and for a spray wax, I use Meguiars D156.
    Awesome! do you use the quick detailer for just dust, quick clean, and drying lubrication and then the wax for added shine?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Billy, welcome to AutoGeekOnline from the Fatherland!

Congrats on the new M4! What color is it and options?

I think your best bet to dry the vehicle is with a leaf blower. This will really minimize the amount of contact with the paint. You could also use a good waffle weave towel with a QD as a drying aide and added lubrication.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on the new car and welcome to Autogeek.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Hi Billy, welcome to AutoGeekOnline from the Fatherland!

Congrats on the new M4! What color is it and options?

I think your best bet to dry the vehicle is with a leaf blower. This will really minimize the amount of contact with the paint. You could also use a good waffle weave towel with a QD as a drying aide and added lubrication.
    Mineral white coupe with Sakhir Orange Interior. I have DCT with the executive package and 19" Black wheels. Loving every bit of it. Would you say the Metro Vac sidekicks is not worth the extra money over an electric leaf blower? Thanks man!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mike View Post
    Congratulations on the new car and welcome to Autogeek.
    Thanks you my friend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast