autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

washing car in cold weather.

this cold weather create problem for me washing the car. water seem to freeze a bit at -5 degrees celcius. I never had this problem before.

Is there a way to wash a car better?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: washing car in cold weather.

That IMO is too cold to wash the car I would wash the car when the weather gets warmer. Do not waste your time
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sito View Post
    water seem to freeze a bit at -5 degrees celcius. I never had this problem before.
    Perhaps the previous mixtures of your car-wash solution
    lowered the freeze-point of water somewhat.

Did you change it up?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sito View Post
    this cold weather create problem for me washing the car. water seem to freeze a bit at -5 degrees celcius. I never had this problem before.

Is there a way to wash a car better?
    Are you adding something to your water? Water around me freezes at 32F/0C. When I am up north I don't wash outside under 35-40F otherwise I had ice in the window & door seals.

You could do a rinseless wash inside a garage to be safer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    Are you adding something to your water? Water around me freezes at 32F/0C. When I am up north I don't wash outside under 35-40F otherwise I had ice in the window & door seals.

You could do a rinseless wash inside a garage to be safer.
    I agree about it being too cold to be washing a car via conventional means outdoors. I don't even take it through a touchless when it gets that cold. There is far too great of an opportunity for water to freeze in places that could cause issues.

As much as it pains me to have a dirty car, I wait until it is above 32F for a few hours. Right now, we're in a deep freeze and my car could pass as a livestock salt lick.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Your best bet would be to use a rinseless product like ONR, and use hot water.

Post Thanks / Like

I deal with this problem every year. My solution is to double up on my sealant in October/November and then try to ride out the cold weather. I'll hit the coin op car wash a couple times on the 45 degree or warmer days, but bucket washing is pretty much out of the question. The biggest problem I have is that the water will freeze on the car if it is too cold. No point in even trying if it is below freezing out. Anywhere in the 30s and it is just not fun anyway.

Even using the coin-op can be problematic sometimes. I'll get foam that freezes on the car or something like that. So the best bet is to hit it when it is above freezing and then use something like a California Water Blade to get most of the water off before soaking up the rest with a towel like an Absorber. Regular towels won't work in the cold very well and they just streak the water around. The spongy Absorber towel works best in colder temperatures.

Yes, I know that using a brush or water blade may put some swirls in the paint, but no more than leaving salt crusted to the car all winter will cause. I have accepted that there is a certain amount of work to be done in the spring to repair the damage from the winter, so it isn't really a big deal. Wash your car in the winter and you'll put scratches in the paint. Don't wash it in the winter and you'll still get scratches, so I choose to go the clean route.

One tip is to seek out car washes that use boar's hair brushes. Not the nylon blue bristles. Those WILL scratch the hell out of your paint. Use a boar's hair brush and your paint will pull through much better. My van is a good example. It has really soft paint and right now it still looks sharp when it gets washed at the coin-op or by bucket. The swirls that brushes put in really aren't bad as long as you use proper technique.

That may not have been the question, but my thinking is that if it is so cold that your wash water is freezing, then it is too cold to be washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Winter sucks for anyone wanting to keep his car clean.

I am fortunate that my garage is warmer than the outside temperature, but when the outside temperature gets below 10 degrees, it dips below 32F in the garage, and that means water freezes easily.

I can tolerate washing my car in the garage when it is above freezing, but not for long. It's just not fun.

I hit the coin op self-wash if the temperature is above freezing to knock off most of the salt and grime. After driving home, I wash it down with ONR using hot water.

Can't wait for spring.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Winter sucks for anyone wanting to keep his car clean.

I am fortunate that my garage is warmer than the outside temperature, but when the outside temperature gets below 10 degrees, it dips below 32F in the garage, and that means water freezes easily.

I can tolerate washing my car in the garage when it is above freezing, but not for long. It's just not fun.

I hit the coin op self-wash if the temperature is above freezing to knock off most of the salt and grime. After driving home, I wash it down with ONR using hot water.

Can't wait for spring.
    That is how I feel. At the point when something isn't even fun, I avoid it. That is why the motorcycle goes away in October and doesn't come out till April and the car stays dirty for about the same timeframe. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Optimum No Rinse Wax & Shine since October. I heat my garage but have no drain so no water is only way. It does a good job but it is no "fun". Can't wait for warmer weather.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast