autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about applying Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze to a Jeep Cherokee

G'Day All,

On the 19th of February we'll take delivery of our brand new Jeep Cherokee in Eco Green.

A work colleague used the The Original Forum Favorite Kit on his Audi from brand new and I'm really happy with the finish he's achieved. But with the Jeep I have a question:

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze is only meant for painted surfaces. So is there an easy way to work around the logo and chrome trim for the grill?

-Shane.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about applying Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze to a Jeep Cherokee

The KSG (Klasse Sealant Glaze) will be fine on those other surfaces. Just remember to apply the Klasse products super thin, especially the SG. If you think you've got it thin enough, it's still too thick. You want it to be whisper thin, so it virtually disappears after you wipe it on.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by insane View Post
    G'Day All,

On the 19th of February we'll take delivery of our brand new Jeep Cherokee in Eco Green.

A work colleague used the The Original Forum Favorite Kit on his Audi from brand new and I'm really happy with the finish he's achieved. But with the Jeep I have a question:

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze is only meant for painted surfaces. So is there an easy way to work around the logo and chrome trim for the grill?

-Shane.
    Take your time and you will be just fine. If you want to play it safe, spend a few minutes and tape off any emblems and plastic trim.

Post Thanks / Like

As the others mentioned be very careful to apply as thin as possible. If you over apply, it can be difficult to remove. I also found SG applied/removed easier when used over their AIO. SG can be layered and in my past use with it I found applying 2-3 super thin layers insures perfect coverage and solid protection.

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree that's important to apply Klasse Sealant Glaze THIN, I wouldn't apply it too thin because if you do, there's a good chance that an insignificant amount of product was applied to perform as it should.

A lot of times we go overboard with applying products THIN THIN THIN. There is a happy medium - don't apply it too thick (making it a bear to wipe off), and don't apply it too thin (thus decreasing protection and longevity). Experiment on the hood (divide it into quarters), and find the amount that's just right.

I would rather apply the product a wee bit too thick, and feel comfortable knowing that there is an ample amount of sealant on the surface to protect the paint. Make sense?

Sure, it will be more difficult to wipe off, but if you spritz the panel with a quick detail spray as you buff it off, it will make it significantly easier to remove. This is what I do, and I never have an issue wiping off Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (or any other wax/sealant that's "difficult" to wipe off).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by insane View Post
    G'Day All,

-Shane.
    You've gotten very good advice from others here - especially the advice about putting in on in an incredibly thin layer. To achieve that end, many people put the KSG in a small spray bottle (such as those that AG uses for samples) and mist it onto the finish. I go one step further (IMHO) and mist it onto a damp microfiber applicator and then spread it incredibly thin.

Here's an alternative for you if you are interested. My wife bought a new Cherokee last Fall. (We ordered it so it was not on anyone's lot.) I told them not to so much as wash it when it came in. (They couldn't help themselves, but they didn't really do any damage.) I then carefully washed the car, did a little touchup with a very fine polish in a few spots where there was some imperfection, cleaned it with Pinnacle Surface Cleaner and coated it with Pinnacle Paint Coating. Pinnacle Paint Coating lasts longer than Klasse and is even easier to apply. I have been a sealant fan for some time now, but I am slowly being weaned away to coatings. I don't look at them as permanent by any means (even if they were, I would have to redo them every couple of years just because of wear and tear on a daily driver), but they are like a 2 year sealant that is even slicker than a sealant. As a result, a coating "Winters" better than a sealant which, in my opinion, "Winters" better than a wax...

I hope this helps!

<TED>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I would rather apply the product a wee bit too thick, and feel comfortable knowing that there is an ample amount of sealant on the surface to protect the paint. Make sense?

Sure, it will be more difficult to wipe off, but if you spritz the panel with a quick detail spray as you buff it off, it will make it significantly easier to remove. This is what I do, and I never have an issue wiping off Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (or any other wax/sealant that's "difficult" to wipe off).
    I personally would try not to use a QD on a waterborne sealant that isn't fully cured yet (similar to the cautions for WDGPS), but to each his own. I would prefer to do two WOWA-thickness coats than one thick one, because I can't think of any wax or sealant short of a coating that is more difficult to remove than KSG if it's been applied too thick and allowed to dry.

The other option is to use the WOWO (wipe on, wipe off) method, which was another popular way to do it back when Klasse was the "forum favorite", which is of course how you apply a spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I personally would try not to use a QD on a waterborne sealant that isn't fully cured yet (similar to the cautions for WDGPS), but to each his own. I would prefer to do two WOWA-thickness coats than one thick one, because I can't think of any wax or sealant short of a coating that is more difficult to remove than KSG if it's been applied too thick and allowed to dry.

The other option is to use the WOWO (wipe on, wipe off) method, which was another popular way to do it back when Klasse was the "forum favorite", which is of course how you apply a spray wax.
    One of the perks of my job is getting to test and play around with every product we carry, and I've experimented a lot with Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze and have found that a (high quality) QD will NOT affect the durability of the sealant. You need to let it fully dry ("haze over") and then wipe it off. If you don't let it cure long enough, then use introducing a QD can affect the durability. I usually let it sit on the paint for an hour.

There would be no need to use a QD to aid in the removal of newer sealants that are effortless to wipe off, like Wolfgang, Menzerna, Blackfire, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the perks of my job is getting to test and play around with every product we carry, and I've experimented a lot with Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze and have found that a (high quality) QD will NOT affect the durability of the sealant. You need to let it fully dry ("haze over") and then wipe it off. If you don't let it cure long enough, then use introducing a QD can affect the durability. I usually let it sit on the paint for an hour.
    That's good to know, I still would prefer to do it more like a WOWA, and if I get a high spot, wipe that down (so I guess it's really a WOWO method), then I don't have to go back over it an hour later. That being said I can't remember the last time I used KSG. I used some KAIO on a spot on my kitchen counter a few weeks ago, though, LOL.

There would be no need to use a QD to aid in the removal of newer sealants that are effortless to wipe off, like Wolfgang, Menzerna, Blackfire, etc.
    I always mean to ask in these threads why a lot of newbs pick the Klasse system, which although it's a great system, and used to be the "forum favorite", lags a bit in ease of use compared to the products you mention. So many great products today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That's good to know, I still would prefer to do it more like a WOWA, and if I get a high spot, wipe that down (so I guess it's really a WOWO method), then I don't have to go back over it an hour later. That being said I can't remember the last time I used KSG. I used some KAIO on a spot on my kitchen counter a few weeks ago, though, LOL.

I always mean to ask in these threads why a lot of newbs pick the Klasse system, which although it's a great system, and used to be the "forum favorite", lags a bit in ease of use compared to the products you mention. So many great products today.
    That's true! I used to use Klasse, but it is harder to use than some of the newer products. Right now, Black Fire is my favorite on my white cars. However, I have started to use coatings on my family's cars and I am rapidly becoming a fan!

<TED>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast