autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bought a Steamer and Got No Results Whatsoever

Hello everyone,

so I saw a post about using a Firebird 1500 steamer to restore a Tundra interior and engine bay. the results looks amazing so I purchased one and tried it on a couple stains inside my home and then on the car.

The stains look even worse now because it whitened the surrounding area but didn't remove the stains. I also sprayed folex on the stain to help out but they didn't come off. I used the steamer on my engine and it just made it a bit wet but did not remove any grease or dirt. I used it on my door jams and it didn't remove anything, they still look dirty. This was on high power and following the manual. I waited for the heating light to be off before using it.

Has anyone gotten results with a steamer? I really need to make this work, for business.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bought a Steamer and Got No Results Whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by Occidere View Post
    Hello everyone,

so I saw a post about using a Firebird 1500 steamer to restore a Tundra interior and engine bay. the results looks amazing so I purchased one and tried it on a couple stains inside my home and then on the car.

The stains look even worse now because it whitened the surrounding area but didn't remove the stains. I also sprayed folex on the stain to help out but they didn't come off. I used the steamer on my engine and it just made it a bit wet but did not remove any grease or dirt. I used it on my door jams and it didn't remove anything, they still look dirty. This was on high power and following the manual. I waited for the heating light to be off before using it.

Has anyone gotten results with a steamer? I really need to make this work, for business.

Thanks in advance!
    What is your technique? Are you just blasting the panel from 2 feet away or up close? Are you using the triangle attachment with a towel over it?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a firebird and replaced it with a hill injection. Do to lack of performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Were you using distilled water? tap water contains a lot of minerals that can show up a white residue when steaming, it's also hard on the machine.

It's not often that I rely only on steam, I may start by pre-spraying with a degreaser, or I may steam and follow-up with a clean microfiber or a microfiber that i've sprayed with dressing, all depends on the existing condition. I can do these processes quickly, so it makes sense for my use. I have had success with just steam, it's great for cleaning tight spots that you can't get a towel easily. I have a mcculloch 1275, which is far weaker than your mytee.

You do need to get the tip very, very close to the grime for it to be effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Were you following the steam with a microfiber to remove the loosened dirt?? Steam just loosens and breaks down the dirt. You still have to remove the dirt or stain with some sort of media.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ngonzi View Post
    I have a firebird and replaced it with a hill injection. Do to lack of performance.

Did you sell your Firebird? I have one as well and was thinking about upgrading soon.

Just wondering how easy it was to move on Craigslist or eBay if you went that route.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post
    Did you sell your Firebird? I have one as well and was thinking about upgrading soon.

Just wondering how easy it was to move on Craigslist or eBay if you went that route.

I have it on Craigslist. I have the price listed high right now. I've gotten a few very low ball offers. I not in a hurry to get rid of it. I don't think theirs much of a market on Craigslist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ngonzi View Post
    I have it on Craigslist. I have the price listed high right now. I've gotten a few very low ball offers. I not in a hurry to get rid of it. I don't think theirs much of a market on Craigslist

Ok thanks.

I was thinking of doing EBay personally to avoid that craigslist headache.

Wouldn't mind taking a small loss but really not gonna give it away

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The Steamer should be used in addition to the normal cleaning process, which should include cleaning chemicals and agitation

Steam intensifies the action if cleaners like Folex, APC, etc.

Removing stains has a little science begin it. You have to match the right cleaning product to the type of stain

I get great results with mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    The Steamer should be used in addition to the normal cleaning process, which should include cleaning chemicals and agitation

Steam intensifies the action if cleaners like Folex, APC, etc.

Removing stains has a little science begin it. You have to match the right cleaning product to the type of stain

I get great results with mine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast