autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning foam pads when polishing/waxing by hand

Cleaning foam pads when polishing/waxing by hand.

There's a lot of talk about cleaning pads while working, but this discussion usually centers on machine polishing. I've read the "polish on the fly" article a few times.

As I only have hand foam pads currently to compound/polish/wax (mostly yellow pads from Meguiars)...do these need to be cleaned as I go? Can they?

Or should I just allot a certain number of pads for each step(polish/wax) when I do my car and put them in a "used" container until I can clean them for next time?

Thanks!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning foam pads when polishing/waxing by hand

I apply my LSP's by machine for the open areas and then take that pad off and hit the smaller areas

I clean on the fly by brushing lightly with a MF towel, before applying additional product to the pad

On some vehicles with lots of smaller areas, I cut the cheapie yellow foam applicators in half, which provides me with better control adjacent to trim. I typically use 2 of these (4 halves) and toss them afterwards

There would be nothing worse than instilling scratches during application of the LSP

Post Thanks / Like

I think the OP was asking how to clean the foam hand applicator pads. I know I'd like an answer to that question......

Anybody??

Post Thanks / Like

I use a cleaner from Costco called Maintex Heavy Duty Degreaser Cleaner. Takes everything out of Machine pads, hand applicators, micro fibers and what ever else. Most of the time I add a little to warm/hot water in the sink, let them soak and clean by hand. It only takes a few minutes then rinse and let them air dry.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

After I finish using a pad, I immediately throw it in a bucket of water + diluted CG's Fast Pad Cleaner, massage the solution into the pad, and let it soak overnight (soak over the weekend if using a Collinite product). Then I brush the pad with a nylon bristle brush and rinse thoroughly. If there is still some residue, I throw it in a wash with MF towels/air dry or dry on low.

That usually takes care of things. I might throw in some CG All Clean+ if the residue is tougher. One of the biggest things is not to let your pads sit around after using them, immediately throw them in pad cleaner solution after using.
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

I tried something last night that may be the worse thing I could have done, but, they "look" great...... I put enough hot water in my washing machine (lowest water level) put 8 hand application pads along with 2 very very nasty dirty MF towels/rags. Poured maybe a tablespoon or regular tide, maybe 1/4-1/3 cup of chlorine bleach...... yes, the stuff you use on white cotton. Then I used some waterless hand cleaner (like GoJo etc.) on all the filthy spots of which there were plenty.... I mean plenty...... let the washing machine mix the solution with a few agitations, then put the pads etc. in the washer. Let the washer agitate for maybe 2 or 3 minutes then soaked for an hour. Then let the washer run through the entire cycle (heavy duty) and extra rinse cycles. Took them out and everything was spotlessly clean.
    Now, how are they going to work on my car???? I'll pick me out a couple of spots (inconspicuous of course) and try various products to see what happens........ will report back after test results are concluded.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the lake country foam hand pads that I use for those hard to reach areas where the DA doesn't fit. I blow them out with compressed air if they sit for awhile until I grab it again to blow out any compound/polish dust that may have dried.

If I apply a wax or sealant by hand I won't do anything to the pad as I am using it around the car. I will kiss the pad onto the paint to remove some of the excess within the pad as it loads up.

When I am all done I toss all my pads into a bucket with DP pad cleaner.

Here's my review on it. You can see a yellow foam applicator in the bucket.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...juvenator.html