autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Orange Peel in new clear

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    No

5 of the 5.3" and four of the 3" for an average car

Yes

The amount of pads will depend on how bad is the orange peel, they will wear out if need to remove a heavy amount of it I have done entire car with 3 of the 5" and 2 of the 3"
    This do not have a norm of rule so suggestions is to get more than what you need but not a rule to use a specific number for car sizes

Post Thanks / Like

Let me make my point clear...
    1. OP has no experience on wet sanding sooo for an inexperience user demin pads will work better.

2. After wet sanding wool pad, followed by a swirl remover, then finishing. With demin pads for OP will be easier cause demin pads do not haze (not as bad as sanding) or take the entire gloss from the paint wich make the job easier than wet sanding.

3. Less mess all around cause no water with paint residue will run thru the car. Ever heard about residue control? I applied that on my jobs so less mess cleaner job, less cleaning so faster on time, imo I know some disagree and it is fine.

4. Low speed is recommend it for new users so they can "adjust accordingly" with goals and results, that is why I suggested that to OP. BTW they do work with DA, I done it with great results even removing scratches

5. Not everyone will pull off a wet sanding job especially for entire car at the first try, that is why again demin is safer and in this case imho the way to go.

We as experience detailers wet sanding is the way to go when it comes to this type of job, BUT!!!! when situation fit this type of tools/pads they have their place. No mean to disrespect you Allen but I just want to make my point clear why I suggest this pads to OP because no experience on wet sanding in this case.

I work on a production body shop, so I see this things almost weekly not only from our painters but from customers who come here to get their orange peel remove. About wet sanding if not done properly an uneven surface will be seen from the distance and this is very common when sanding by hand other than machine.

For experience users looking to achieved the best results hands down with sanding down.
    another point is 3000 & 5000 sanding foam disc are wayyyy more expensive and if your not do this as your daily job you may spend a lot of money for one single job.

Just my .02 and my experience to help OP best I can.

Edwin
    Below is a quick orange peel removal job done by wet sanding done on a MBZ at the shop done by me .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orange Peel in new clear-op-remover-1-jpg   Orange Peel in new clear-op-remover-3-jpg   Orange Peel in new clear-op-remover-4-jpg  

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Pikiki,

I think you massaged the points I made in my post to fit your point of view.

To achieve Similar results, wet sanding cuts faster, leaves a flatter final finish, is overall faster.

Low speed will simply not work effectively with Denim pads. Minimum 4.5 on a DA.

Very few people, if any, will be able to finish down after denim without compounding and get the same final result as WS. I would actually argue that if you finish with P5000, you have a better shot of one-stepping that than after Denim.

You should be washing the vehicle after both wet sanding and Denim. They both make too much of a mess to proceed directly to polishing. So, I don't see a difference there

Not sure what the reference to "residue control" has to do with anything, as that relates to what is happening between the pad/paper and the paint, not what is dripping onto the garage floor.

Never said they were not safer for most people

Never said they don't work on a DA. I use a 3401

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12