autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nasty Dirty Tan Leather Seats

I asked what to use here.
    <Nasty Dirty 100,000 mile Tan Leather Seats>

Woolite & Mr. Clean Magic eraser worked fantastic.
    Chris Rappe
    '06 H3 / '99 Hugger Orange Camaro Z28 / '00 Nasau Blue Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally would have moved to the Leatherique products. I am told the Majic Erasers are actually quite abrasive and could harm leather.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 303 cleaner 30-1 on my leather (coated)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    I personally would have moved to the Leatherique products. I am told the Majic Erasers are actually quite abrasive and could harm leather.
    yes, they are, and I learned my lesson the hard way (my previous '00 3.2TL).
    A good leather cleaner and conditioner like Pinnacle or Wolfgang will work very well.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried the magic eraser on my 14 year old gray leather seats that were pretty rough.. None of the cleaners I could find locally even made a dent in it.

Definitely made them very 'matte' looking, but after reconditioning them they look just fine. Honestly didn't get them as clean as I would've hoped, but I was really just kind of hoping for a miracle.. I think i will try sanding them down and re-dyeing them next, and if I'm not satisfied with that, I will just have them recovered (roughly $1200, which is why I didn't care to try something else first, even if it ruined them).

Wouldn't recommend it on new seats though.. More like a last resort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DantheMan
    I've tried the magic eraser on my 14 year old gray leather seats that were pretty rough.. None of the cleaners I could find locally even made a dent in it.

Definitely made them very 'matte' looking, but after reconditioning them they look just fine. Honestly didn't get them as clean as I would've hoped, but I was really just kind of hoping for a miracle.. I think i will try sanding them down and re-dyeing them next, and if I'm not satisfied with that, I will just have them recovered (roughly $1200, which is why I didn't care to try something else first, even if it ruined them).

Wouldn't recommend it on new seats though.. More like a last resort.
    Stubborn stains- dependent upon the leathers condition or how dirty it is; consider using leather-cleaning products (Leatherique’s Prepping Agent) follow up with a conditioner (Leatherique’s Rejuvenator Oil

Steam cleaning- a steamer has a multitude of functional usages for leather interiors; doors, leather and vinyl upholstery and trim, all clean exceptionally well with steam, it will loosen up the deep ground in soil that normal cleaning cannot reach and emulsify most types of dirt and grime that gets into what are inaccessible places for other methods of cleaning i.e. cup holders, seams and grooves, between cushion and bolsters, liquid spills, etc. Use a d-limonene based (citrus) solvent P21S Total Auto Wash, in a ratio of 10:1 or stronger with distilled water as a pre-cleaning solution, as an alternative use Prepping Agent followed by steam cleaning.

The steamer will also ease out wrinkles and the heat generated will open the pores of leather just before the application of a conditioner; the conditioners in the Rejuvenator Oil force proteins back into the leather, which helps release soils (dirt and / or grease) then apply Pristine Clean to release any deep down soils, which will condition the leather and re-soften it

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had some pretty nasty, soiled leather seats and found that a mixture of APC + dishwashing liquid + warm water and a horse or boar's hair brush works best. The brush will not scratch the leather and I can strengthen the mixture according to the dirtiness of the seats.

After scrubbing, I wipe aggressively with an old terry towel (the shop buys then in bundles) and either use compressed air or a shop vac to get the solution from the seams.

Toto

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nasty Dirty Tan Leather Seats

Steamer it Is!
    Just purchased a McCulloch steamer! Heavy Duty! I have 3 details today. Looking forward to how this Baby will clean and save time. Especially on the cloth interiors. I have a Aztec Hot Rod Hot Spotter Extractor,which I love. I am hoping this Steamer takes my business and quality of detailing to a new level. Feed Back Please!

Post Thanks / Like

The McCulloch steamer worked pretty good today.It's the heavey Duty Model.I'm not sure if I over filled ita couple times. It spit water a bit. then it was fine. I had a good 45 minutes use.Enough to do the entire interior. Steam is a great cleaner. I need more practice with it. What are good products to use with it? Does anyone have this model?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Gaia and it spits water for the first second or two and then blasts out steam..probably just condensation in the hose I would think. I love mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast