autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Old wax and sealant remover

Hey guys i am kinda new to detailing...i have only done wash and wax regularly my old cars nothing else..i bought new car couple of weeks ago..i like to protect the paint on my car so applied Duragloss 105/601 combo after reading it on forum and finished with Aquawax..i only did small portion of the trunk..didnt like the way it came out so want to try it from scratch again..meaning want to go back to bare paint again..before applying wax and sealant i did clay the area using Griots speedshine..then applied 601/105..will P21S Paintwork Cleanser 11.8oz remove the wax and sealant..i am also considering Mothers 07100 California Gold Pure Polish which is bit cheaper..instead of duragloss i am going to try Griots all in one sealant..please let me know if i should get P21S or mothers..also liked Griots paint prep but not sure if i will get it..thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old wax and sealant remover

I use P21S every 2 years on my 08 Corvette and works well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO you are over-thinking this a little. Is this the Griot's product you want to use: Griot's Garage One-Step Sealant, One Step Paint Sealant, liquid car wax sealant ?

Because that's got cleaners in it that will remove whatever you have on there now. But let's circle back to the DG 105/601 topped with Aquawax that you "didn't like the way it came out". What didn't you like? Did you mix the 105/601 together? Or apply them separately?

I'm probing for a technique issue, because if you didn't like that combo, I'm not sure you're going to be happy with the Griot's, either.

Post Thanks / Like

well i applied by hand and used applicator pad for both 601 and 105..first i applied 601 did not buff it..then applied thin coat of 105 using the foam applicator pad..didnt do circular motion..went up and down..left it for 45 min before wiping with microfiber..waited about 12 hours before applying Aquawax..Complain i have is might be my buffing not sure but paint didnt look even..felt like some places were bit darker..

Post Thanks / Like

Some waxes/sealants have a darkening effect and if you don't apply them evenly you can get a streaky or uneven appearance, especially on darker paint colors.

Most people on here who use 601 mix it with whatever DG "polish" they are using, that might help you to get a more even result. You'll want to work it in just a little if you are having that streaking problem.

Post Thanks / Like

looks like that happened to me i have deep crystal blue color..thanx for reply though..this is the reason why i was looking for some paint cleaner so i can remove DG and start over..

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you just go back over the top and even it out? Honestly, you are overthinking this. Part of the description of DG 105 is this: "Contains additional cleaning properties to remove mild oxidation and light surface scratches."

It also says this: "Step Saver Tip - Blend 4 parts #105 to 1 part 601, Polish Bonding Agent for added durability and gloss. Accelerates the curing process for instant bonding. Apply within 2 hours after mixing for maximum results."

So mix some up, rub it in good (make sure the car is clean and you have a clean applicator), and I think you'll be happier with the results this time.

Post Thanks / Like

alright i will try it with clean pad..let you know if it works out this time..should i wipe it immediately or leave it on for 20 30 min

Post Thanks / Like

You want to work it into the surface until there is a very thin, almost invisible layer. That should flash/haze/dry fairly quickly, 10-15 minutes tops (depending on your temp/humidity).

Post Thanks / Like

worked better this time..had minor swirls which didnt go away but happy with the results i got this time around..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast