autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Diluting a coating

Has anyone heard of diluting a coating like PBAG's Pinnacle, DP coatings with distilled water to create a QD or spray coat for post washing or simply to spruce up the coating? When you read the descript for Reload its basically a QD that has some of the nano-glass in it...so I was thinking of making my own batch, but it may be a big fat no no. (Was also even thinking of diluting with distilled and IPA)...Mike Philips...if I write your name will you reply? Since you are the detailing god, I was hoping you'd be omnipresent too.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Diluting a coating

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that when attempting to create detail and booster products by "diluting" surface-film-Coatings---especially through the use of IPA, (rather than orthophthalic anhydride)---crystallization problems can occur to the final mixture/solution.

One possible(?) way to control this problem is to include a small portion of terephthalic acid to disrupt crystallization's chain symmetry.

Here's a general "IPA-Dilution formula",
    that may be of assistance in your stated quest:

Also...IMHO:
    What with the expenses associated with 'Coatings'...
    "The end doesn't justify the means"!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Well, just my -0.02$

I've run through many bottles of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating that is the product I most apply here.

I had a batch of empty bottles that I did the following:

a) Passed all last '~0.01oz' of each bottle to one bottle, emptied the sprayers and I could join a considerable amount of product that I use to coat door jambs as freebie.

b) (this is where things became interesting to your question):

After procedure above, I've filled one of those (now empty) bottles with filtered water (almost full). I've closed the lid and 'shook like an animal'.

I've then passed the water from this bottle to another one, shook (is it right verb!? kkkkkk) and did it again, passing through 4 bottles. The water fastly switched from clear color to gray translucent color.

The last bottle I've labeled as watered down, and tested it out.

Test subject was my dad's car, which I call my 'riding test panel' hehe.

Results were above expectancies, since the product spread slick as the coating booster, and let me tell you I was really surprised with water beading it exhibited specially on glass.

I now use the mixture as an after wash to my own car / dad's car.

Cons of this: (now, the bad part).

Would I ever apply this to a customer's car?

Never, Ever. Even though it 'worked' in my test scenario, I cannot rely on this diluted product to name my work.

That said, I even wouldn't mix the coatings (full strength) I have with water because I cannot control what I'm creating, thus cannot warranty protection I'm selling to customers. If I mix, I won't be confident it's a good product worth someone paying for me to apply.

I won't either dilute it with IPA, again, can't control the outcome and I'd never trust it enough to apply to a customer.

My thoughts above are to show you can try diluting the coating and you can even achieve good results with it, but I can't recommend the practice since you won't be able to be honest with customer regarding estimated durability, and trustable protection. I don't like this feeling.

If it's only your money, your car, your coating, you're bored and willing to do something nasty, go on and be happy! Start testing on underparts of bumpers or even test subjects (my 'portable shaving mirror' is fully coated with many layers of wheel coating)...

I do my tests to know better products I'm using, and if your test can give you any insight towards improving your work, it's worth the spent product/$$, even if you then flush the wastage.

In example, see this simple test I've conducted last year. The long term observations I got from it helped me much regarding application of coatings.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ally-more.html

**Another simple example that explain my point of view: I've tested applying coating with and without proper surface preparation (cleansing polish, IPA, hyper-wash, you name it). Both worked (on time, not talking about long-term).

Even knowing improperly prepped surface could potentially work, I extrapolate the results of this test to the following:

If my prep goes 99.9% instead of 100% I seek, that's OK!

The bad interpretation would be: I won't prep because of my results above.

Got it?

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses! Answered my questions perfectly. This is for my own DD, I don't detail for any customers...I'm just a googan. I may try to come up with my own coating QD just for kicks...its really important to me to keep the characteristics of the coating...and I only see two options for coating QD but neither appeals to me.

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't wise to try. At the very least you need the MSDS to identify the carrier. Many coatings would be destroyed by water. Ipa is not a dry solvent and even the higher grades would have enough residual water to destroy many coatings. Basically you would be playing a game of chance with expensive products, which strikes me as ill advised.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to look it up

Funny

A googan is an offshore fishermen who constantly loses fish that the average fishermen would catch

Post Thanks / Like

I did just use some Black Fire Crystal Sealer after washing, and ya know, that stuff behaves like a coating to the point that I can't tell the coating was topped...I may just stick with that for a QD it only took me 10 minutes...and I'll strip to recoat each year anyway so I think I'll make that my plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I had to look it up

Funny

A googan is an offshore fishermen who constantly loses fish that the average fishermen would catch

Googan is also those weekend warrior fisherman that get in the way or interfere with the professional fishing captains. There is nothing more Anoying then having a weekend warrior follow your boat after you pickup a client(s) to spots that you know are productive. I've started running into trickier (shallow & sand bar covered) water when they follow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

I picked up the Black Label Diamond Coating Booster to use on top of opticoat 2.0 and it worked very well. a little bit went a very long way. left a nice clear finish and took only a few minutes to do an entire car. never heard of a Googan even though I have been a bass fisherman for a long time. our term for somebody bogarting your spot is not something I can say here lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast