autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping hands warm this winter while detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Woob View Post
    Use scuba diving 3 mm gloves, not fully waterproof but they definitely take the bite out of the cold. Plus no need for nitrile gloves one bit!
    I have tried using some old surfing gloves but the lack of dexterity turned me off. They were probably 5mil however.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe you guys are washing in those kind of temps

Bold

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to wash mine but soon as I got it on the road it will be covered in salt again, I'll have to wait till the roads get a little better and it warms up its 18 outside and in my garage is around 40, can't wait till I get money to install a nice gas heater in there... But I usually wear good pair of nitrile gloves under some neoprene ones...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Can't believe you guys are washing in those kind of temps

Bold
    Well, my thoughts exactly. Having my detail shop on the Central Coast of Cali, our "winter" temps this week are in the 70's, and to get below freezing in the night is unusual and makes news.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in New Jersey in with for the past week it has been under 10° at best. In Hackensack there is a spotless tunnel that does the waterjet thing and I figured it would get dry on the way out being that they have 2 10 hp Baldor motors blowing air at the cars for 60 seconds.this really didn't matter because the water that was blown immediately turned to ice pellets and the rest froze solid onto the car!
    In terms of keeping my fingers warm I use a 2 pair method where I keep one pair on the – windshield defroster vents to heat the fingertips up and the other pair I have my hands till they freeze up. While doing this I always make sure the gloves are not too furry, not too clingy, your bare hand doesn't let stuff stick to it obviously but the wool or cotton fabric on most gloves can be particle magnets that end up transferring to the microfiber....in addition to this I use the "Hot Hands" handwarmers you can find at a Blowes or the Borg for $7

Sort of unrelated to this thread I have found that some products will work in sub freezing temperatures These have been the more Carnauba based stuff. So Far I've had the best luck with P 21S Carnauba paste wax although I must mention the other day I had applied a coating of Menzerna Power Lock The roof of my car...well, it was so cold I got back in my car and forgot that I had applied it… The following day it snowed about an inch. The day after that I was parked in a parking garage at the mall and noticed product spread all over the roof and realized it had been on there for two freezing days...I quickly got a microfiber towel out of the back and it came right off and this is just a testament to what I believed to be Menzernas flagship product.
    I would love to hear anybody else's input on product that works in the cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me just add, I just recently spent six hours cleaning out my garage and although it's only 9' x 18' it actually fit my 06' Mazda6. Lots of sidestepping and banging of elbows and head on shelving and walls. When I think about it that's not the biggest problem… My name issue would be lighting in the lack thereof. What I need to do is blow out the wall and give myself an extra 4 feet...but every time I mention something like this eyes start rolling and suddenly everyone and their mother is a contractor!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123