autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Your Help Guys and Gals

Hello, Im the new guy here, been purchasing products from Autogeek for years, and would troll around on the forums for info, and finally about about 5 yrs, decided to post haha.

Here is the deal, aahh this is just so upsetting to me, I like so many on this site try SO HARD to keep our cars as nice as possible.

My current car is a 2013 VW GTI that I purchased new in January of 2013. The Color is called "Shadow Blue" and its a beautiful dark blue metallic. The problem I have, and has been only on this car, so dont know if its just VW paint or what, but this paint stains and etches so quick you just cant believe it. Doesn't matter what sealer I use, wax I use, frequency or coats it still happens. This paint scratches easily even with a MF towel for goodness sakes.

I have always used quality car shampoos, 2 bucket method in washing, clay bar the car about 2 times a year, more if needed, and apply either Mazerna Powerlock, or Duragloss 105 to the car monthly. In between I use Duragloss Aqua Wax, or Detailer weekly after I wash. The vehicle does sit outside and is not garaged. I apply sealants often in hopes it would help. It hasn't.

I must have at least 10 coats of PL on and at least as many of DG 105. The PL was applied probably 2 weeks ago. Well last week it rained here (which is rare) and due to the weather conditions was not able to wash the car till about 3 days after. I washed the car applied the Aquawax and pulled the car out in the sun to take a look. Water spots everywhere, or etchings. The surface is smooth to the touch, so most likely an etch. Though difficult to see, I was able to capture a photo while at the store last night under the parking lot light.

[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see it looks horrible. The problem is, I can polish them out with Meguiars Ultimate Compound but having to do this after every rain? Or after every time I wash the car if I dont dry it quick enough. I mean you only can move so fast. What can I do? It breaks my heart to see my car like this, but its beginning to break my spirit. It happens that often.

Any advice you guys can give, or ideas would be so greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Your Help Guys and Gals

when is the last time you've thoroughly corrected the paint by machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum. Have you considered a coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    when is the last time you've thoroughly corrected the paint by machine?
    I have never had to correct with a DA as of yet. Well I did do the hood about a year ago so take that back.

The thing is, I cant use a DA and polish or compound on a monthly basis. How long would the clear hold up? That is my fear. So I am like just fixing it in spots that are really bad, so if I do have to do the whole car, I just am not doing it all the time.

Does that make sense?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Have you considered a coating?
    What kind of "coating"? I dont think anything "chemically" applied would work any better than some of the sealants I have used.

I have thought about just polishing the whole car, seal it, then 3M wrap the whole car. That would be expensive, but cheaper than a new paint job in a few years.

Wonder if the 3M wrap I am talking the applied stuff, not the aerosol type stuff. You know the stuff that is like a Vinyl Wrap but clear?

I just need to figure something out

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EppyzMK6 View Post
    I have never had to correct with a DA as of yet. Well I did do the hood about a year ago so take that back.

The thing is, I cant use a DA and polish or compound on a monthly basis. How long would the clear hold up? That is my fear. So I am like just fixing it in spots that are really bad, so if I do have to do the whole car, I just am not doing it all the time.

Does that make sense?

Jeff
    it looks like you need to thoroughly polish (do a test spot first to determine how aggressive you'll need to get) the paint out and purchase a DA (your hands will not be able to achieve what a machine can do overall), now is the time. once you do that and lay down your LSP, it will bond better and protect the finish longer. i've said this many times before, everyone should own at least one traditional PC-style DA and with that said, take a look at the GG6 or the HF DA if money is an issue at the moment. it will be one of the best investments you've ever made and will pay for itself after the first use or two. hopefully, there's a member near by that can help you out and let you try out their DA...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    it looks like you need to thoroughly polish (do a test spot first to determine how aggressive you'll need to get) the paint out and purchase a DA (your hands will not be able to achieve what a machine can do overall), now is the time. once you do that and lay down your LSP, it will bond better and protect the finish longer. i've said this many times before, everyone should own at least one traditional PC-style DA and with that said, take a look at the GG6 or the HF DA if money is an issue at the moment. it will be one of the best investments you've ever made and will pay for itself after the first use or two. hopefully, there's a member near by that can help you out and let you try out their DA...
    I do own a DA, just prefer to do things by hand. Polishing is the only time I use the DA. I just am trying to see if there is something I can do without having to use the DA and polish every other week.

What I mean is, the frequency of this happening. I have been able to correct by hand, and yes, I have a DA but since it has only been spots here and there, I have been ok with doing it by hand. Now the WHOLE car needs it so yes, will need to use a DA this time, but this type of thing happens all the time. Cant be good to use a polish or a compound often. I mean it would be like every other week.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you park? Under anything that would do that?

Or maybe you have very hard water. Might be a good idea to invest in a water filtration system if it's that bad.

Good luck!
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a sprinkler system is watering you at night?

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have "10 coats" of anything on your paint. You can lay some wax down but that's it. Wax will not layer, nor do sealants. Many people will lay down 2 coats but not thinking it layers but for complete coverage.

Now as for VW paint....it just sucks. They come to us from the dealer here in town and they etch real easy. Bird poo and water stains, especially stains from oak leaves that drop on cars damp from morning dew and dry out on the to surfaces. Wash them away and you can see the visible outline of the leaves.

Full paint correction will only help if you can then wrap the car in paint protection film.

Coatings will help you also but your best defense will be you being very proactive in keeping car clean.

Anthony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast