autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Your Help Guys and Gals

Have you tried carpro spotless?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EppyzMK6 View Post
    What kind of "coating"? I dont think anything "chemically" applied would work any better than some of the sealants I have used.

I have thought about just polishing the whole car, seal it, then 3M wrap the whole car. That would be expensive, but cheaper than a new paint job in a few years.

Wonder if the 3M wrap I am talking the applied stuff, not the aerosol type stuff. You know the stuff that is like a Vinyl Wrap but clear?

I just need to figure something out

Jeff
    I use one coat of GTechniq C1 followed by two coats of EXO. The CQuartz UK is very popular. They are much more durable than waxes and sealants. I would go through all the proper steps and after completely machine polishing the paint put the coatings on.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't be using Powerlock monthly, I get 6 months out of it, you can apply it every 4 months if you like with the option of topping with a carnauba

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend doing your full compound/polish and getting the paint up to where you want it and then put a coating on it. Something like Optimum Gloss Coat or CQuartz should give you much better protection and durability.

Out of curiosity, when you apply a fresh coat of the PL, what are your reasonings for doing so? Has it really "worn off" that quickly or is it just a matter of you wanting to put a fresh coat on each month? To me, it seems a little overkill...okay maybe a lotta overkill, especially if you're doing it by hand; poor arms

Oh, and
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailKitty View Post
    Where do you park? Under anything that would do that?

Or maybe you have very hard water. Might be a good idea to invest in a water filtration system if it's that bad.

Good luck!
    I was thinking of getting of getting a system. Problem is, its not just from washing the car itself. If it rains? OMG its horrible. So not sure.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco View Post
    You don't have "10 coats" of anything on your paint. You can lay some wax down but that's it. Wax will not layer, nor do sealants. Many people will lay down 2 coats but not thinking it layers but for complete coverage.

Now as for VW paint....it just sucks. They come to us from the dealer here in town and they etch real easy. Bird poo and water stains, especially stains from oak leaves that drop on cars damp from morning dew and dry out on the to surfaces. Wash them away and you can see the visible outline of the leaves.

Full paint correction will only help if you can then wrap the car in paint protection film.

Coatings will help you also but your best defense will be you being very proactive in keeping car clean.

Anthony
    I agree Anthony, I realize that you cant "Layer" the sealants, I apply them every 4-6 weeks to Strengthen them. Where I live really takes a beating on paint. 125F heat in the summer, sand storms, bugs, your BEST sealant from ANY brand is only good for 4 weeks here.

Being Dark blue, I want as much UV protection as well too. The frequent applications add gloss and durability IMO. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    I'd recommend doing your full compound/polish and getting the paint up to where you want it and then put a coating on it. Something like Optimum Gloss Coat or CQuartz should give you much better protection and durability.

Out of curiosity, when you apply a fresh coat of the PL, what are your reasonings for doing so? Has it really "worn off" that quickly or is it just a matter of you wanting to put a fresh coat on each month? To me, it seems a little overkill...okay maybe a lotta overkill, especially if you're doing it by hand; poor arms

Oh, and
    Thank You for your input. I apply the PL about every 4-6 weeks. I feel that that any polish in the environment that I live in just wears out very quickly. You can just tell after washing it, the bugs dont come off as easily, granted the car still "Beads" but that isn't a real indicator of what is there. With the 125F summers here, sand storms, Fall Out being Dark Blue and being parked outside 24/7 I feel the frequency just strengthens what is there.

Even so, it still etches very very easily.

What do you guys think of Opti-Coat? Maybe something like that applied annually would be good? Then just maintain it with something? Or is that wishful thinking?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I think a coating is definitely the way to go. They don't make Opti coat anymore, they make Opti gloss. Either that, CQuartz, or the GTechniq EXO or C1 then EXO. There are few more coatings available. I would read about these products and decide which you feel would do best. A wax or wax type product can't take that kind of heat. Have you ever measured the surface temp in the middle of the day...I would say 150-165.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If you do machine polish....that body crease below the window is a prime candidate for burnin'

Tape that baby

I have good luck with Meguiar's Cleaner Wax removing water spots, even some that I thought were etched

Post Thanks / Like

I would try to find another experienced detailer in the area to make an evaluation of the paint. The rain (possibly acidic) could be causing some of your problems since you should not be claying and protecting so much.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast