autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deep Wheel Cleaning, embedded dirt

Try Sonax Wheel Cleaner Full Effect.I havent try it yet because i still have Meguiars Hot Wheels All wheel cleaner which is too good also.But my friend have this cleaner. An excellent wheel cleaner

*SONAX Wheel Cleaner safely and effectively eliminates the most stubborn dirt such as brake dust, oil and rubber residue. Color-change foam lets you know it's working! SONAX Wheel Cleaner's acid-free, non-corrosive formula is safe on all types of painted, alloy, anodized, clear coated, chrome, aluminum and stainless steel wheels. Clean with confidence!

If you have custom, specialty, or otherwise expensive wheels, you have just found your wheel cleaner. SONAX Wheel Cleaner is pH neutral to protect your wheels' finish. This is in sharp contrast to many wheel cleaners, which contain harsh chemical solvents. SONAX Wheel Cleaner is tough on dirt, but gentle on your vehicle s wheels.*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There is the "Dub" brand wheels cleaner made by Meg's that you can buy at walmart. As far as I can tell it works like Sonax FE. They sure smell similar

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills65 View Post

Almost forgot, if your wheels arent clear coated or powdercoated...meaning if they are uncoated bare metal, then you will want to avoid the IronX and TarX. Once you get them clean you can still coat them but the IronX will damage uncoated bare metal.
    Are you sure?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Are you sure?
    I went back and re-read the product description and it says:

Note: Iron X should not be used on bare metal parts, brake calipers, wheel balancing weights, or SMART paint repairs. Mask off these areas. Avoid letting Iron X dry on any surface.

I didnt find anything about the TarX being damaging to bare metal wheels though so I guess TarX is safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Give PS 21 wheel gel a try, safe for all kinds of wheels. Let it dwell for up to two hours for stubborn dirt. If that doesn't work go for the PS 21 polishing soap, if they are still there then use a liquid white metal polish and a cotton cloth. Extreme cases will be on need of the liquid polish and 0000 steel wool. If the steel wool is used work with the grain of the metal and try first in the backside in the barrel. If these are uncoated and you get fine scratching the white polish on the cotton rag should remove them. If not then a green 1st white final may have to be used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPBGT View Post
    There is the "Dub" brand wheels cleaner made by Meg's that you can buy at walmart. As far as I can tell it works like Sonax FE. They sure smell similar
    Exactly. Don't rule out Meguiar's DUB wheel cleaner.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same issue (embedded spots) and would like to try something other than regular wheel cleaner before they become completely etched into the wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stealthjetta View Post
    I haven't tried Sonax or Rupes yet, but I will give one of those a try if you think they will work. Are these designed to be part of a regular wheel wash, or only when you need a deep clean? Thanks.
    I only use these products for wheels wiyhe caked on/baked on OE embedded type material on the wheels. Once the wheels are clean just soap and water should keep them clean, as someone mentioned wheel coating will help keep them looking great and easier to clean.
    Both these cleaners are similar. I only decided to try the Rupes because it was on BOGO the Rupes works much faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 9nueve9 View Post
    This is in sharp contrast to many wheel cleaners, which contain harsh chemical solvents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just to be clear, wheel cleaners tend to contain strong acids or alkalines as the active ingredient which are damaging, where as the solvent portion (often EDTA) acts as a chealating agent to hold iron ions in solution and really isn't very harsh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12