autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Visibility Issue with Windshield

I'm having issues with visibility with my windshield when its raining and when the sun is glaring through. The oncoming traffics light during rain makes it blurry or hazy in certain parts of the windshield. Unfortunately, its in the area in front of the drivers side! I notice when the wipers blades are turned on, water seems to be sticking to those areas where I'm having visibility issues. My car is still fairly new, 2013 Honda Accord so I don't believe the wipers are the issue. The condensation in the morning and the sun glaring through the windshield makes it difficult to drive. Ultimately, I think I'm having issue with water or moisture sticking to the glass surface. When the surface is dry, I have no problems at all. I attached some pictures of windshield surface before and after with the things I did.

These are some of the things I tried to do to see if it fixed the problem; Wash the windshield with Meguiar car wash (didnt work), wash with palm olive dish detergent as a degreaser (didnt work), clay bar with Mothers California Clay Bar kit (surface is smoother, wont know visibility until it rains next time). After clay baring, I didn't use any sealant or wax. Maybe you can suggest products I can get at a local Walmart or Autozone. Was thinking about getting Chemical Guys Jet Seal if I know the exact cause of the problem.

The problem I think that might of caused this; I used Spot-X to remove water spots on the glass (maybe it scratched the surface), I park under a tree at work that releases sap (could be tree mist sap). I did some research on pitted windshields and I hope this is not the case. Any suggestion from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Worst case is to replace the windshield. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Visibility Issue with Windshield-1-morning-jpg   Visibility Issue with Windshield-2-after-wipers-morning-jpg   Visibility Issue with Windshield-3-after-claying-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Visibility Issue with Windshield

When the last time you changed the wiper blades every six months one should do so but aside from that you tried some great attempts though I would see if wiping the window with IPA wipe would help, thus it may remove any left over residue/fresh sap, however once the problem is sloved you can always apply a sealant on hand also consider giving the glass a light shave too

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't replaced the wipers yet since I got the car a little over a year ago. Would you guys suggest clay baring the surface again? I'll give the alcohol wipes a try. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Replace the wiper blades.... It's cheap to do. Do you clean your blades when you clean your car?
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I do and don't sometimes...I know shame on me. Let me try new wiper blades. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Has it been like that since you got the car? The middle picture almost looks like someone put something in the sprayer reservoir that they shouldn't have. As others have mentioned try a solvent...IPA to remove it. You may have to use some Ceriglass to get it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the second picture I don't think it's the wiper blades. Almost looks like the wiper blades have been partially removing whatever it is that is on there...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

DaveT435: I haven't noticed it until this month. We were experiencing drought here in CA so it didn't start raining until now. I looked at my wipers and they seem to be in good condition still so I end up not getting new ones. Like you said..based on the 2nd picture, wipers doesnt seem to be causing that. I've always taken my car to the Honda dealership to get service so I have no idea what they put in the sprayer reservoir. It is a blue liquid though.

Let me try the IPA wipes on the windshield and wiper blades. Do you recommend if I put Rain-X or some sealant over it? Will that make the visibility worst? Thank you sir!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to go the local store route I would pick up some Rain-X X-treme Clean (Rain-X® X-treme Clean™ - Rain-X) I have used this several times on glass/windows with noticeable improvement. I have also used this with a 3-inch wool drill attachment to touch up headlights. This is a paste product with some grit in it, but it wont scratch your glass. After you rinse and dry your windshield I would follow that up with an IPA wipe down to get rid of any possible residue.

Once you get the glass as clean as you can I would apply some Aquapel (Aquapel Glass Treatment, Rain Repellent, glass sealant, windshield protectant, Aqua-pel glass wipe) or another high quality glass sealant/coating. I prefer Aquapel myself and have had one treatment last 3 months so far and still going strong even after rain, ice and snow. Stay away from Rain-X treatment as it doesn't last long and can cause streaking with your wipers.