autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of Jeweling my Car

I own a Tuscan Red Nissan ALtima. I believe I have hard paint.

I already own a GG Dual action polisher. My plan is to use the Gold Jewelling CCS Smart Pads™ along with a jeweling polish such as Menzerna SF4500 or am I better off using the jewling pad with my current M205?

Can Ultimate polish be used as a jeweling polish??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking of Jeweling my Car

I use the CCS Gold Jeweling Pad w/Menz SF4500. SF4500 has very little cut (I think 2 on the Menzerna chart). IMO, it brings out the one of the best shines after polishing...period!!

Whether your paint is hard or soft it does not matter. That combo is the best for "jeweling" IMO. I believe Megs 205 has more cut than Menzerna SF4500 so I would go with the SF4500.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

carpro reflect is another option

Post Thanks / Like

IMO...This is the best "jeweling" polish:
    3M polish, 3M ultrafina, ultra fine polish, 3m car polish, rotary polisher, finishing polish, final polish

Although it says it was formulated for use with a rotary polisher...which I've done...I've also used it with
    a DA---which was, by no means, a walk in the park!!

But attempting to "jewel the paint" with any other brand's ultra-fine polish, while using any DA polisher, is not going to be a walk in the park either.

Rotary polishers: Now that's the ticket, for this type of verrrryyyy slow detailing process.

Regardless:
    Here's hoping you achieve excellent results!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I just Started cleaning up some light scratches on challenger while its in storage for the winter.
    Clayed, m205 with white lc pad and menz 4500 with gold for the jeweling process. I used my pc xp7424 da. So far I've only done the roof and deck lid. I didn't think I could get it to look any better but after this process the silver paint looks " liquid"!
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh..... I worked on one of those in that color a week or so ago. It wasn't terribly 'hard' paint either.

Didn't have to 'jewel' it as it was a rental car. Had a customer that had been driving it for over a month while his car was being repaired. Somehow he caught something hard and sharp and immovable when backing up down low (down where it's flat) on the drivers door. Ended up scratching it from a point lining up just in front of the door handle all the way to the front wheel well. Had to get touchup paint from Nissan then spend a few hours buffing, and taping, and sanding, and feathering, and filling, and more sanding, and more buffing. Ended up good enough to where the rental company never noticed it.

(Although it was a bit creased!):eek: But they never noticed any paint damage!

The pad will make the ultimate difference in your 'jeweling' adventure. I know that SF4500 (in theory) should finish better than SF4000. Yet they both have the same "gloss" in the Menzerna chart, even though SF4000 has more cut. for that reason I stick to SF4000. If a 'glossier' finish is really needed, most Menzerna products work darned well by just starting with a bit more cut (in the pad) and as it breaks down, switch to a lesser cut/softer pad and finish it down.

At the end of the day, does SF4500 have more gloss than SF4000? Guess that depends the on the paint, the pads, the machine, and the hands behind the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

True "jeweling" is done with a rotary. (Mike Phillips has one of the best posts/videos I've ever seen on this. PM him for location I've lost it.) Do not attempt this unless you really know what you're doing.

If you are using a GG or similar polisher you can get 80%+ of the same result and have a lot less stressful experience. Assuming the paint is already nearly perfect, use the lightest possible pad at slower speed with Menz 4500, Rupes Ultra Diamond, or Swissvax Machine Polish Final.

Regardless of what system you use, you must work surgically clean, and that's the hardest part. There cannot be ANYTHING on the pad, in the polish, or on the paint when you work or you will see it in the results.

So how much time do you have
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com