autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help needed - how to remove stickers placed ON TOP of PPF

Right so I have a customer who has a BMW 1M with some 'Martini' inspired racing stripes that are currently on the car and he want's them removed.

The issue is that they have been place ON TOP of some VPS (paint protection film).

Typically I would approach 'sticker' removal by heating it up, pulling it off and then hitting the glue residue with either a dedicated tar and glue remover or some goo-gone, polish the area if required, and protect.

But with the VPS under the 'stickers', how is heating them up going to effect the VPS and will the goo-gone or tar remover negatively effect the VPS.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help needed - how to remove stickers placed ON TOP of PPF

The VPS being a plastic film and uses an adhesive to stick to the paint which makes heating it risky in that you might melt the plastic and the glue into the paint or cause it to be removed entirely. I suggest you let the owner know of the risks before you attempt removing or heating.

Post Thanks / Like

The customer will obviously be made aware of any risks but I am really trying to find a way to get the job done without causing any damage so I am hoping someone will have some advice on how to go about.

Even if I am able to get the sticker off the PPF, how would I then deal with the remaining glue residue - I am pretty sure your typical solvent based tar and glue removers are not going to play well with the PPF?

Anyone?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Try contacting VPS?

Post Thanks / Like

i'd call the manufacturer but i believe prep solvent would be used to help remove the adhesive on the PPF...even lacquer thinner. but again, call the mfr.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

Just finished chatting to the manufacturer who said that heating up the stickers (he suggested using the sun?) should not pose a problem to the adhesive of the PPF.

He also recommended using mineral turpentine for any remaining glue residue...

Will discuss the potential risks with the owner and if he is happy for me to proceed, I will give it a bash

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    Thanks guys

Just finished chatting to the manufacturer who said that heating up the stickers (he suggested using the sun?) should not pose a problem to the adhesive of the PPF.

He also recommended using mineral turpentine for any remaining glue residue...

Will discuss the potential risks with the owner and if he is happy for me to proceed, I will give it a bash
    Thats pretty much how to tackle that one Lawrence. Do you know how long the stripes have been on there? That would be my only concern - if they have been on there for a long time they may be a little bit brittle but as long as you're patient (judging by your standards, you will be) they should come off okay. Sitting it in the sun is a good idea also but again - patience with a heat gun & not getting it too hot & you'll be fine. Definitely a mineral turpentine would be my go to - have used it safely on PPF many times. Maybe Autoglyms Tar & adhesive remover too if you have any?

Aaryn NZ.