autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug Guts

Post Thanks / Like

Bug Guts

Yesterday I worked on a Toyota Highlander, AIO.
    The hardest part of the job was trying to remove the bug guts splattered on the front of the car.
    Had the hardest time removing them, foamed it down a few times using Dawn and APC, still slow to remove them, not sure how long they were there.
    Then I remembered reading that a dryer sheet helps to remove them, sure enough, almost like magic , they were easy to get off, shocked I was, my wife will pickup a couple of boxes for me.

If you never tried this please do, just wet the sheet and begin wiping them , it like dissolves them.

Anyone try this?

How do you guys deal with this problem?

Now that I have a shop and detail for a living time is money, can't waste an hour just to get the front clean, normally it doesn't take that long but that Highlander kicked my butt. Lol
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Mike Phillips

Re: Bug Guts

You need to get a beach towel plus some assorted hand towels and simply keep them on hand for this type of problem and as soon as a car with bug splatter arrives get the towels wet and laying on the front of the car. The towels will hold water onto the car and the water will soften the dried bugs to make them easier to remove.

From 2012...

Tips & Tricks: How to remove dried bug spatter or bug guts

Bug Spatter can actually eat through and remove paint if left on too long...

Tip: Water soften the dried bug guts and splatter with water first.

Trick: Use a towel to hold water in place on a vertical panel.

Here's a tip I posted in 2005, the idea being to use the towel to hold the moisture onto the paint and thus the bug splatter where it can go to work softening and loosening the splatter. A large beach towel works well for this...

This was my Honda Pilot in our garage where I would also wash the garage because it's pretty hard to wash a car in the desert without the dry heat or the wind drying water before you can dry your car.

Take a wash rag and saturate it with water or your car wash solution.

Place the wet wash rag on top of the dried bug splatter and allow it to sit for a few minutes. A variation of this would be to use warm/hot water.

To speed up the process, apply some gentle pressure while drinking a cold soft drink and if need be, hum or whistle a little diddy.

A variation of the above but for a larger area would be to use a larger cloth such as a bath towel. Saturate a clean, soft 100% cotton towel with water and place it over the affected area.

Another variation for headlights and fenders...

Big Picture
    The idea being to use some type of bath towel or microfiber towel or even wash cloth or wet chamois to trap and hold water onto the dried bug splatter in order to soften and re-liquefy it so you can more easily remove it without causing damage to the delicate, scratch-sensitive clear coat finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried them on a painted surface (like a 'car') but on RV's they are GREEEEAT!

When I was still doing them (RV), I'd get a half dozen or so and just stick 'em on the surface (while wet). After dwelling for a few minutes, pick them off and hose off the area. No bugs.

One thing about the large area on a RV, start at the bottom. That way you can easily hose off the 'treated area' as you move the remoisten sheets up the nose.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I love this forum so much, many people with knowledge

Thanks Mike,I'll try it today on a truck I'll be doing this morning.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    You need to get a beach towel plus some assorted hand towels and simply keep them on hand for this type of problem and as soon as a car with bug splatter arrives get the towels wet and laying on the front of the car. The towels will hold water onto the car and the water will soften the dried bugs to make them easier to remove.

From 2012...

Tips & Tricks: How to remove dried bug spatter or bug guts

Bug Spatter can actually eat through and remove paint if left on too long...

Tip: Water soften the dried bug guts and splatter with water first.

Trick: Use a towel to hold water in place on a vertical panel.

Here's a tip I posted in 2005, the idea being to use the towel to hold the moisture onto the paint and thus the bug splatter where it can go to work softening and loosening the splatter. A large beach towel works well for this...

This was my Honda Pilot in our garage where I would also wash the garage because it's pretty hard to wash a car in the desert without the dry heat or the wind drying water before you can dry your car.

Take a wash rag and saturate it with water or your car wash solution.

Place the wet wash rag on top of the dried bug splatter and allow it to sit for a few minutes. A variation of this would be to use warm/hot water.

To speed up the process, apply some gentle pressure while drinking a cold soft drink and if need be, hum or whistle a little diddy.

A variation of the above but for a larger area would be to use a larger cloth such as a bath towel. Saturate a clean, soft 100% cotton towel with water and place it over the affected area.

Another variation for headlights and fenders...

Big Picture
    The idea being to use some type of bath towel or microfiber towel or even wash cloth or wet chamois to trap and hold water onto the dried bug splatter in order to soften and re-liquefy it so you can more easily remove it without causing damage to the delicate, scratch-sensitive clear coat finish.

vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Wish I had thought of this yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    I've never tried them on a painted surface (like a 'car') but on RV's they are GREEEEAT!

When I was still doing them (RV), I'd get a half dozen or so and just stick 'em on the surface (while wet). After dwelling for a few minutes, pick them off and hose off the area. No bugs.

One thing about the large area on a RV, start at the bottom. That way you can easily hose off the 'treated area' as you move the remoisten sheets up the nose.

Bill
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've also found the Detailer’s Road Kill Bug Scrubber, bug and tar sponge works great. I'll pre soak with Poorboys Bug Squash and then hit the area with the sponge and my normal wash solution.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I did the towel trick while detailing a car in AZ and FL. At home I have the awesome bug sponges as well as bug squash. I usually spray bug squash on the areas, foam cannon and scrub with the bug squash. The dryer sheet will be added for me!

Post Thanks / Like

if you can still find some at your local oreillys on clearance (less than a buck) the megs bug splatter sponges work well...

Post Thanks / Like

Also a fan of the bug sponge. Initially, I was very skeptical to use it because when it is dry, it's like a brick! Soak it in some of your favorite car wash for a few minutes and you are good to go! Works great!

Detailer’s Road Kill Bug Scrubber, bug and tar sponge

Post Thanks / Like

Bug squash works great!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast