autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick picture of headlight switch - Gross

I did a Lexus SUV awhile back....hairspray was gunked and hardened on headliner, sunroof, & A pillar. Steering wheels & controls were full of makeup. At least she smelled good though...
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I come across this all the time. Just build up of dirt, skin, oils, makeup and all sorts of stuff. I find it on controls and all over the steering wheel. Steam and/or 1z deep plastic cleaner tear right through it.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why i like my Tornador Black.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

Quick picture of headlight switch - Gross

Definitively gross, nice work indeed.

Not exactly that gross, but this 1/3 test spot picture I got today during leather cleaning shows well exactly when build up has passed the acceptable level...

Quick picture of headlight switch - Gross-imageuploadedbyagonline1418176214-619522-jpg

To note, this was a single shot with CG extreme leather Cleaner at 1:7 dilution, brushed gently and wiped.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Good work/shot!

Steering wheels and shift levers get that bad too.

I think most people don't realize it's build up, from them! One friend's I did thought the paint had worn off the wiper switch, when it was just filthy.
    So I had a steering wheel on a car that kept getting black, brown and smudgy. I actually got a little self conscious about it thinking maybe I wasn't washing my hands enough or something. Scrubbing and scrubbing and it wasn't coming out. A little research revealed; a common occurence on that car as it got older was the oils in the plastic would actually start to surface as the plastic would break down. And, sure enough, within a couple of months the steering wheel was basically coming apart in little bitty chunks and like a fine powder; leaving my hands grimy. Stuck a steering wheel cover over it and eventually sold it. Now I've got a Focus with a factory leather-wrapped steering wheel.

I think people genuinely don't look at keeping their car clean as a priority. It's a tool, a utility. A contractor doesn't wash his hammer, why should I wash my car? My in-laws are mostly very clean people, their houses are always clean, they are always clean and well dressed, their kids are always clean (unless they come to my house. I send them home good and dirty and wound up.) But their cars are always awful! They don't wash them; as in almost ever. Maybe an automatic car wash a couple times a year. Since most of them park outside (they use their garages for other things. Seriously. Not one of my wifes several siblings has their cars in their garage. Is it like a 'thing' with them? I dunno.), the paint is flaking and peeling on their cars after just a few years. I know one has a 2009 van that already has some serious clearcoat failure. It's not a reflection on them, they aren't "Dirty people" (I sometimes hear comments like 'I wonder what their houses look like', well I can tell you in this case, usually spotless!) But it's nothing for those cars to be covered in spills and spots from the kids, grime built up everywhere, dust and dirt, and just be filthy.

All of the nieces and nephews know my two rules about riding in my car. Buckle up (no exceptions), and no food or drink that isn't water (no exceptions). Even I don't eat in my car (Bottled water is it).
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero

Post Thanks / Like

Thats just nasty!!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcate
    Black isn't a color, it's a part time job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12