autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Difference between waterless and rinsless wash?

So the other day i used Rinseless wash (ONR) to clean some smudges off my car, which was washed about 2 days ago prior to me performing the ONR on my hood.

By the time i was done, i put in alot of scratches on my hood that was coated with CQUK.

Thinking rinseless wash (ONR) would pretty much act the same as a waterless.

Is there really that big of a difference between Rinseless and Waterless?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Difference between waterless and rinsless wash?

Your post is a little confusing -- in particular this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionDetail View Post
    Thinking rinseless wash (ONR) would pretty much act the same as a rinseless.Is there really that big of a difference between Rinsless and Waterless?
    I think rinseless and waterless washes are for two different things. (I'm sure you already know this.) I consider waterless washes (e.g., UWW+) to be for dusty cars that have a slight film. For anything more than just dust, I would use a rinseless wash (ONR, eg.).

Did you precoat the car with anything? I tend to spray the car with UWW+ before using ONR. It's an extra step, I'm sure.

What was your technique? With ONR, I use 600 gsm MF towels folded in quarters. The whole towel is wet, close to dripping. I make one pass per quarter with little to no pressure. The next pass is a clean quarter. I never use the same quarter for more than one pass. So, I go through about 12 towels per car.

I think you can put scratches/swirls in your car with ONR if it isn't wet enough, if you apply too much pressure during a wipe or reuse a dirty quarter.

I've had pretty good results with ONR on top of Gtechniq and 22PLE, so I would say it might have been technique.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Your post is a little confusing -- in particular this statement.

I think rinseless and waterless washes are for two different things. (I'm sure you already know this.) I consider waterless washes (e.g., UWW+) to be for dusty cars that have a slight film. For anything more than just dust, I would use a rinseless wash (ONR, eg.).

Did you precoat the car with anything? I tend to spray the car with UWW+ before using ONR. It's an extra step, I'm sure.

What was your technique? With ONR, I use 600 gsm MF towels folded in quarters. The whole towel is wet, close to dripping. I make one pass per quarter with little to no pressure. The next pass is a clean quarter. I never use the same quarter for more than one pass. So, I go through about 12 towels per car.

I think you can put scratches/swirls in your car with ONR if it isn't wet enough, if you apply too much pressure during a wipe or reuse a dirty quarter.

I've had pretty good results with ONR on top of Gtechniq and 22PLE, so I would say it might have been technique.
    I had the same questions i.e. when to use rinseless vs. waterless. I started detailing in the summer and never let the car get more than some daily dirt/dust. I used CG Ecowash. Now that winter is here and I'm not washing everyweek, I'm looking to go rinseless..the waterless just wont cut it.
    -Is ONR the standard? what about MF washmit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenblade2001 View Post
    -Is ONR the standard? what about MF washmit?
    I'm not expert enough to know if ONR is the "standard," but it certainly is an industry leader and something people use more often than something else for rinseless washes.

Pinnacle and DP make rinseless washes. I have no experience with them.

You can use a washmit, but you'd have to be very diligent about removing the dirt from the mit since you're going to reuse it.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Try the waterless. Waterless formulas seem to have much more lubricity than rinseless products. I have ONR and Ultima Waterless; Oz. per oz., waterless products are slicker by far.

Post Thanks / Like

So the other day i used Rinseless wash (ONR) to clean some smudges off my car, which was washed about 2 days ago prior to me performing the ONR on my hood.

By the time i was done, i put in alot of scratches on my hood that was coated with CQUK.

Did you scrub off the smudges? ONR by itself would not cause scratches. My DD van is proof. Its hood is 99% swirl-free. And I ONR with either MF (GDWM) or grout sponge (2BM).

The 1% was caused by my son who placed a candy box on hood.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you use the ONR as a waterless in a spray bottle or did you use it in a bucket of water (one ounce solution to 2 gallons of water) with a microfiber or sponge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    Try the waterless. Waterless formulas seem to have much more lubricity than rinseless products. I have ONR and Ultima Waterless; Oz. per oz., waterless products are slicker by far.
    ^^^This ^^^

ONR compared to traditional washes or "waterless" washes feels like it lacks lubricity. Presoaking by wringing out your sponge over the panel you'll wash next will help release dirt and stuff IME.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=71880&dateline=142020  6364

Post Thanks / Like

i have done probably hundreds of ONR and OOC washes without issue. yes, some extremely critical professional detailers might bark that it will mar certain finishes no matter what - sorry, i haven't experienced that so how can i speak on it? i have washed corrected cars of all types both ways and i have no real complaints with either process when used properly.

ONR tips:

use plush MFs, warm water and the prescribed ratio of ONR to water. using more than necessary can't hurt, but imo it doesn't help. whatever makes you feel better i guess.

fold the towel in quarters, work in sections, using a new side of the towel as many times as possible per panel. imo once you are done a panel, throw that towel in a spare bucket and get a new towel. i have done washes with one towel as prescribed by OPT but i have lots of towels so i might as well use them.

dry as you finish each panel. i like a powerful blotting towel such as the MFM Dry Me Crazy.

pre-soak lower panels and anything that seems exceptionally dirty with either water or a wash solution-strength dilution of ONR.

use your internal cringe meter to gauge whether or not you should really be doing a rinseless wash given the amount of dirt on your car. on experience can fine tune that meter.

you can always pre-rinse your car first with a hose or power washer then do rinseless. beats a regular wash but helps you maintain comfort if the car is pretty dirty.

if a car just has light grime...dust...or needs spot cleaning - use waterless. you can be more precise with waterless and it's just less hassle with less setup and moving parts.

for waterless, prime the "wipe" side of the towel and spray the area to be wiped, using the towel as a shield if you are trying to control the spray from going where you don't want to clean.

for both ONR and OOC washes - DO NOT EVER WIPE HARD!

OOC is imo the ultimate instant detailer because you can use it on any surface, inside or out and it has been made specifically to help avoid scratches on all surfaces. plus, it's cheap if you are using the concentrate to mix your own.

if you like extra slick, glossy stuff, add a little OID concentrate to your OOC mix. i wouldn't recommend using that combo on some interior stuff (leather, dash)...like you can with regular OOC...but for exterior and interior hard surfaces...whoa.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.