autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad and compound combo.

Hi,
    My intention is to clay bar my paint,do a cut/ polish and wax.I have done this before about 12 mths ago.With our lousy roads and dust here (Australia) it does not take long before the duco is marked up again.

I have swirls and fine scratches in the paint,but I am not looking at getting these all out, I can make it look real nice and a couple days later with the dust etc I am back to noticing the fine marks on the paint.

I have a DAS-6 Random Orbital Polisher/Variable Speed with 5 inch backing plate.

I was wondering if a Lake Country Orange CCS Pad 5.5 inch combined with Mequiars Ultimate Compound would do the job for the cutting side of things and a Lake Country CCS White Polishing Foam Flat Pad combined with Mequiars Ultimate polish for the polishing.

Reason for Lake Country pads is that these fit into my budget and are on special here for AU$12.95 each.

Then finish it off with a couple of coats of NXT Tech Wax,which I like to do by hand.

Reason for Mequiars is that is easily obtained here in auto shops and being in a rural area the choices are limited.

Many thanks for any info.

Cheers Andy.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad and compound combo.

That's pretty much the combo I use on my VW which has quite hard paint and it works fine for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have just done a Senator for a friend, I have used a DAS6-Pro 5.5 inch with Chemical Guys Orange Pad (hence the Lake Country would be the same) and only used Meguiars Ultimate Coumpound and have removed 95% of swirls in one step. (I have now ordered Meguiars 105 and 205 and two more orange pads, i am going to try the professional series now). Shop on eBay and Chemical Guys website. The one year old Senator lives in Newman and drives to Perth couple of times a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys for the input. I just checked out the Chemical guys and waxit,both are pretty much on par with pricing,little bit difference on freight.

I have looked at ebay for pads,mainly ones from china,but I am very wary of what one would be getting.The freight is a killer on brand names from overseas.

At least with buying here in Oz, that any problems occur, a quick phone call can clarify things.

Supercheap auto here are too expensive for their pads and selection is next to zero,hence paying freight living in rural town.

I might run with what you guys have confirmed,I know the orange pad is a light cutting pad and the UC I would imagine is not a harsh compound,compared to others.

Many thanks again.