autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for polish suggestions for GM paint

It's been a few years since I cared properly for our dd's. Getting ready to stock up for spring, and looking for suggestions. I have the GG6 and have a 2011 Buick LaCrosse (white tri coat) and a 2014 GMC Acadia (red tintcoat). What should I try this go around? I currently have the old Menzerna Intensive and Micro polishes that are 10+ years old. I mainly just want a one step polish, but am also thinking of getting something with good cut for when I need it. At first pass after some reading, I'm leaning toward trying the 3D One. I'm also thinking of HD Polish+ or the HD Cut+. Will the One and Cut+ cover most of my needs? While I'm at it, I figure I'll pick up a few more pads. What is a good pad for this machine these days? I have a couple mf cutting pads from when they first came out that I liked, so I might get one or two more. I'm good with light polish/waxing. Just looking for additional aggressive/mid range pad suggestions. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for polish suggestions for GM paint

One cuts better for me than HD Cut +, and finishes about as well as Polish +.

I usually use them with Buff and Shine Blue, or Green Pads. Haven't tried One with microfiber yet though. HD Cut + works pretty good with Microfiber pads though! Not as hard a cut as Meguiar's M100, but is a lot easier to work with.

I also really like the Menzerna 400 Heavy Cut Compound, 2500 Medium Cut Polish, and 3500 Super Finish Fine Polish. I use them on the same blue and green pads. 2500 is one of my favorite polishes because I get a lot of performance as far as cut to finish from it. The 400 works great with the green and microfiber pads. I only really use the 3500 with the blue.

That green Buff and Shine pad might work well for you. I find it to cut better for me than the standard orange cutting pad, and seems to finish better than it too. I've always got a lot of mileage from it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are on the right track with your compounds and polishes.

I like Lake country pads for the most but my supply guy doesn't carry them anymore so I am using Car Brite pads for my Orbital,,the orange cutting pads I really like so far as well as the medium cut ones but I am not sure how well they would perform with the 3D one but hopefuly someone with more experience with 3d one will weigh in.

I use the orange with Megs M100 and the light blue pad with Megs 205 with good results

on another note I am also from Muskegon originally but now to the north 60 miles but work in Whitehall at the GM dealer there so HI

Select Heavy Cutting Foam Pad

Car Brite Select Foam Pads
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

3d one with a microfiber cutting pad if needed. If not one with a yellow Rupes pad is a killer combo. For more aggressive cutting I use either M100 or Griots Garage fast correction cream.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

5. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    I think you are on the right track with your compounds and polishes.

I like Lake country pads for the most but my supply guy doesn't carry them anymore so I am using Car Brite pads for my Orbital,,the orange cutting pads I really like so far as well as the medium cut ones but I am not sure how well they would perform with the 3D one but hopefuly someone with more experience with 3d one will weigh in.

I use the orange with Megs M100 and the light blue pad with Megs 205 with good results

on another note I am also from Muskegon originally but now to the north 60 miles but work in Whitehall at the GM dealer there so HI

Select Heavy Cutting Foam Pad

Car Brite Select Foam Pads
    Hey there. I hope they are a good place to work. I used to go to church with the owners. Nice people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Hey there. I hope they are a good place to work. I used to go to church with the owners. Nice people.
    They are very nice people and they are pretty good to work,,it has ups and downs like any other job but the pluses outweigh the minus' for the most part,they pretty much just let me have the run of the detail shop as long as I don't go to crazy with spending.
    I am more native to the Whitehall area myself .

Justin and Dlc 95 have a lot more experience with this particular subject than I do as I have only been using the high speed random orbital machines for a little over a year,,before that I was strictly rotary for 25 years or so.

I found autogeek while searching around trying to figure to obtain the results I wanted and wasn't getting and the guys here helped me to improve tremendously and proved you can teach an old dog new tricks,,lol.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    They are very nice people and they are pretty good to work,,it has ups and downs like any other job but the pluses outweigh the minus' for the most part,they pretty much just let me have the run of the detail shop as long as I don't go to crazy with spending.
    I am more native to the Whitehall area myself .

Justin and Dlc 95 have a lot more experience with this particular subject than I do as I have only been using the high speed random orbital machines for a little over a year,,before that I was strictly rotary for 25 years or so.

I found autogeek while searching around trying to figure to obtain the results I wanted and wasn't getting and the guys here helped me to improve tremendously and proved you can teach an old dog new tricks,,lol.
    Well, you are working in the detail shop of a GM dealer, so you've got a lot of experience with those paints. I'll have to consider the Megs. I know they have a solid reputation.

9. Likes Farmallluvr, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you are working in the detail shop of a GM dealer, so you've got a lot of experience with those paints. I'll have to consider the Megs. I know they have a solid reputation.
    I've been a Megs user for 20 years. Still use them, but have been branching out since 2015.

Also, it's good to see more Michiganders here!

11. Likes Farmallluvr, Woodman2011 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mainly just want a one step polish,
    •Hard to beat Menzerna when it comes
    to correcting GM’s BC/CC paint systems...
    -But you could give this AIO offering from
    Jescar (formerly Menzerna-USA) a try:
    Jescar All-In-One Polish & Wax

but am also thinking of getting something
    with good cut for when I need it.
    Jescar also has that product (and other
    correction products, as well):
    Jescar Finishing Products

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

13. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recommend Griot’s finishing Sealant on any pad you want depending on the cut you need. On most paint I can get a great finish in one step using it on a microfiber or foam cutting pad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast