autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Grout Sponge Technique

I am still a newbie when it comes to Rinseless or waterless washes but have picked up on the AG threads about the use of a grout sponge in such.

Can you explain use and technique? I am assuming one pass with sponge and then a rinse in a bucket, perhaps with a grit guard, and then another pass with sponge? I assume you can use different sides of sponge, etc. but is this the basic idea?

Is it better than the MF towel technique? Does the dirt get trapped better with the sponge? Is your experience better with sponge, e.g., less marring?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grout Sponge Technique

The only time use sponges of any sort is when I am spreading a product onto a surface and want some scrubbing action, like with IronX. For actually trapping the dirt and contaminates from the surface nothing works as well as quality MF. Plus MF can conform to different surfaces and with minimum pressure required, and you have multiple, known, clean sides to use. With a sponge you really only two sides to efficiently work with compared to at least 8 sides with MF.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Lowes and Home Depot Grout Sponges and never had a problem. It really keeps from trashing nice microfiber towels plus it saves time on laundry. Here is the technique I use:

.Pre soak the panel with the Rinseless solution in a spray bottle from the bucket
    .One pass over the panel , then flip the sponge and make another pass
    .Then place the sponge in the rinse bucket against the grit guard
    .Place sponge back in the solution and finish the rest of the panel with the clean sponge. Then place the sponge back in the Rinse Bucket
    .Then spray the panel with Auqawax and dry with a rung out damp microfiber towel and finish the panel with a dry buffing towel
    .Move to the next panel and repeat the process

Post Thanks / Like

Your best bet is to power wash it first. Then proceed with a RW or WW using a grout type sponge or mf or bone or mitt.

The theory behind the sponge is capturing the dirt safely into the pores and then shedding it with ease into a 2nd bucket of water or using a hose to dislodge the contaminents.

Post Thanks / Like

Do NOT use a grout sponge with waterless washes!!!! Use ONLY with rinseless washes.
    Microfiber towels are the only media fire waterless washes.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Lowe's Proline Tile & Grout sponge off and on with my rinseless washes going on 7 winters now. Sponge or MF, always do a pre-rinse when washing with rinseless. I've gotten by with a hose nozzle aimed 2 or 3 feet away from vehicle (so that more force hits the panel) but might get a power washer next year.

If the panel is not that filthy (say, the top-half of verticals), I'll use one sweep across, flip the sponge, then sweep again the other way just a bit lower. Very little pressure. Then dip the sponge in the rinse bucket that has a double layer of grit guards. Alternately rub and squeeze the sponge on the grit guard, both sides. Take it out of the rinse bucket and do a final squeeze, or wring it if you must. Then dip it in the bucket of rinseless solution and do the rest of the panel this way. When I've completed my multiple "section" passes across the panel, I'll do one final pass on the whole panel before drying with a WW towel. Then use a 2nd WW towel for a final dry pass.

If the panel is filthy, say the lower half of verticals, I interrupt my sweep half-way, or even 1/3 of the way (depends on how dirty), and flip.

The Lowe's sponge sheds dirt so easily it comes up clean as a whistle. It will change color if you're using ONR, turning from bright yellow when new, to a dull light orange after a few uses. The discoloration does not affect its effectiveness though - just looks old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I've used Lowe's Proline Tile & Grout sponge off and on with my rinseless washes going on 7 winters now. Sponge or MF, always do a pre-rinse when washing with rinseless. I've gotten by with a hose nozzle aimed 2 or 3 feet away from vehicle (so that more force hits the panel) but might get a power washer next year.

If the panel is not that filthy (say, the top-half of verticals), I'll use one sweep across, flip the sponge, then sweep again the other way just a bit lower. Very little pressure. Then dip the sponge in the rinse bucket that has a double layer of grit guards. Alternately rub and squeeze the sponge on the grit guard, both sides. Take it out of the rinse bucket and do a final squeeze, or wring it if you must. Then dip it in the bucket of rinseless solution and do the rest of the panel this way. When I've completed my multiple "section" passes across the panel, I'll do one final pass on the whole panel before drying with a WW towel. Then use a 2nd WW towel for a final dry pass.

If the panel is filthy, say the lower half of verticals, I interrupt my sweep half-way, or even 1/3 of the way (depends on how dirty), and flip.

The Lowe's sponge sheds dirt so easily it comes up clean as a whistle. It will change color if you're using ONR, turning from bright yellow when new, to a dull light orange after a few uses. The discoloration does not affect its effectiveness though - just looks old.
    ftmfw!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post

Just curious, how many gallons of rinseless wash do you use per car with this method?
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Sub'b. Good info here
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=71880&dateline=142020  6364

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Real Riders View Post
    .One pass over the panel , then flip the sponge and make another pass
    You use one side of the sponge to wipe an entire door or fender?

That would destroy the black paint on my car

Are these cars just dusty?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast