autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just saw my first 2015 Mustang....OH NO!

This is what mine will look like

Post Thanks / Like

A few of the local dealers have these sitting on their lots right now. Saw a black one I loved, and just yesterday at another dealer there was a yellow one sitting on the corner that looked pretty sweet. I was considering upgrading my mustang next year, until the wife decided we needed a new Suburban more and we got one last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redfireshaker06 View Post
    This is what mine will look like

Yep, that's my buddy's car and he's worried about it coming out of Flat Rock w/ snow and salt on it :screwy:

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. Well itll be ok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Oh ok, just some people talk newer and older. For me its the 65' GT350, white w/ blue stripes

They're supposed to make that with this new design. I'm gonna start saving

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Preaching to the choir here for SURE!

The real problem is much deeper however than just offering a "turbo" here and there. In an effort to maintain CAFE standards manufacturers are offering smaller and smaller power plants, AND.... in an effort to try and keep the (American) motoring public buying said vehicles they are slapping a turbo on woefully anemic power plants.

Back when my daughter was in high school she was given an loaner while here GTP was in the shop. That loaner was a SAAB 9.3 that was rated at 255HP (or might have been the one with 280), really didn't matter though. Problem is/was that unless you kept it revved up to redline it darned near couldn't get out of it's own way! Her car was a 3.9L V6 rated at 240HP and it'd stomp the living crap outta' that SLOB... er SAAB.

She got out the owners manual and it had inside, ever so proudly.... "Welcome to European driving!"

She was like: "So in Europe you have cars you HAVE to drive wide open, buy gas by the Liter, and they STILL won't get out of their own way."

The underlying part that really gets me though is that you have smaller, under powered, over worked engines trying their very best to propel 3700 pound vehicles, huffing and puffing from the time you crank it up. Or in the case of pickups these days, lugging 4700 pound vehicles down the road knowing all the while that the power plant IS the weakest link in the grand scheme of things.

Imagine towing a 4000 pound travel trailer with the frontal area of an expressway billboard with a 3.7L turbo in your crew cab?

One of the oldest things known to man when it comes to engines and power (initially coined in drag racing); There is no substitute for cubic inches!

Yeah yeah... I know that a lighter, more powerful engine gives you better F/R weight distribution, but we're not talking about race cars here. Buyer in the last decade have been keeping vehicles longer than ever, that's well documented. Perhaps the auto manufacturers have caught on and decided they'll start selling vehicles where the engines wear out long before the rust prevention does. Which of course forces you to get rid of that hunk-o-junk just after the 36,000 powertrain warranty expires.

I'll take that 5.3L/5.7L 'Merican' V8 any day thank you.

I'm going to have to disagree with some points of your post. Displacement is an easy way to make reliable long term power, but displacement alone doesn't determine whether or not an engine is powerful, robust, or more efficient.

For example, let's take a step back to the 80s and 90s. The power output out of your average domestic V8 sports car (Fbodys or Fox Body Mustangs being a good example) was embarrassingly low. Crappy engineering with bad flowing heads and power sapping emissions equipment.

Today, a Kia Rio will smoke an old TBI 305 or 350 powered Firebird from the mid to late 90s and early 90s. Ditto for the Mustang.

"BUT THEY WERE 'MURIKA STRONG! "

Ever try to make 500hp for a long time on a stock 302 bottom end? They usually split down the lifter valley.

But a similar vintage four cylinder engine with only 122 cubic inches has been known to live extended periods of time making over 480hp on stock internals.

So displacement and more cylinders doesn't always equate to strength. Ask an old Ford guy if he needed a reliable engine to keep in his work truck, and give him a choice between a 302 and the 300 straight six, and see which one he picks.

As far as turbochargers, I do think that their added complexity makes for more expensive and frequent repairs as the vehicle gets older, so I am against that. But in terms of the current Mustang, I'm not against the 4 banger. I think it's pretty cool, and reminds me of the old SVOs (which were way better than the regular Foxes back then, IMO).

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be the goer against the grain and be smiling the whole time. A couple thousand into my car and I can beat out a GT in a straight line never mind the corners. And wait the snow came around no worries here gl with that stang.

To each his own it is a beautiful car. And I'm sure many will love them to death.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Can we put a couple grand into ours also? lol

Post Thanks / Like

These last couple posts show that hot rodding is still alive and well, doesn't matter if its boosted 2.0L AWD sedans or 5.0L pony cars, Murica vs. Import, old vs. new, doesn't matter. "On demand" power is awesome, just cruzin' and you don't need all those cubes all the time, well, here's where the turbo shines:thumbup:

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redfireshaker06 View Post
    Can we put a couple grand into ours also? lol
    So so true

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast