autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Giving in to automatic washes

Hey all-
    Background- 2013 blak ram 1500 crew hemi v8 4x4 - dream vehicle for me
    i learned everything about detailing from you guys.
    Currently have cquk2014 on it.
    It takes me 1.5-2 hrs to just wash this truk though
    Since having my first child 9 weeks ago, fitting in car washing time is limited. I also have since acquired some swirls from me drying which suck.
    The truk still looks great but thinking about using automatic drive thru "soft cloth" washes. Has anyone ever made the switch from being super anal to letting something else wash their car? I know dirt and such can get stuk in cloth or detergents r harsh but dont know what to do???

Thanks all

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Giving in to automatic washes

A single tear just went down the cheek of every autogeek here.

Just teasing. Sort of.

If anything, use the touchless. Or power spray it down. If need be, maybe a detailer on here that's in your area would love to take over for you?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's one of the forum rules that you have to resign if you take your vehicle through a tunnel wash.

Seriously though, it takes time to wash, about the only thing you can do is convert to rinseless if you're not doing that already. Either that or you have to live with the boatload of swirls that the tunnel wash is going to give you, until your life situation changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Since your car is coated, you can get it 90% clean in under 10 minutes. Go to a self-serve car wash. Spray your wheels with a wheel cleaner that can work without agitation such as Sonax. Once your wheels begin to change color, then insert your money or credit card and hit the car with the pre-soak option, then the high pressure soap, then the high pressure rinse, and then the spot free rinse and drive away.

When you get home, you can use a waterless or rinseless method to remove the very small amount of dirt if any that remains.

You can also coat your tires so that you don't have to worry about them for months.

Post Thanks / Like

If I have to..

1. Pressure washer from coin wash just to rinse down the thick layer of dirt
    2. Use rinseless wash (been using method for a while actually)
    3. Touchless car wash (no clothes or anything touching the car except liquid)

Post Thanks / Like

As always great insight. I know it pained me to even ask the question. I do like the high pressue rinse off with rinseless option. I do rinseless sometimes but crud and stuff gets b/w bumper or running boards and paint, though above method should solve it. I can only imagine the new swirls from the auto wash.

The soap at the car wash scares me as its not a neutral ph for a coating. I know i have read threads about what is safe for a coating but when it comes to ur own car its different.

Tough life choices..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRam View Post
    As always great insight. I know it pained me to even ask the question. I do like the high pressue rinse off with rinseless option. I do rinseless sometimes but crud and stuff gets b/w bumper or running boards and paint, though above method should solve it. I can only imagine the new swirls from the auto wash.

The soap at the car wash scares me as its not a neutral ph for a coating. I know i have read threads about what is safe for a coating but when it comes to ur own car its different.

Tough life choices..
    Coatings are much more resilient than waxes and sealants. You'll be fine. Occasionally I use APC on mine, harsh touchless soaps, etc. and nothing seems to phase it. Because I have no way of properly washing my car while at school, I sometimes use methods that are slightly more harsh so I can avoid touching the car. So far so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    Coatings are much more resilient than waxes and sealants. You'll be fine. Occasionally I use APC on mine, harsh touchless soaps, etc. and nothing seems to phase it. Because I have no way of properly washing my car while at school, I sometimes use methods that are slightly more harsh so I can avoid touching the car. So far so good.
    Thanks man i appreciate it

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulation on the newest member of the family...but while time is tough/tight now it will loosen up a little bit soon, though just try to wash the vehicle as often you can also consider using a boars hair brush/foam/touch-less wash, and it bugs us all crazy to see our vehicle's dirty/swirled up your going to let it happen until you can squeeze enough time to remove some of that contamination/defects

Post Thanks / Like

If you can, try and do "touchless" washes. A descent power washer, foam cannon and a metro side kick (or some sort of mini leaf blower)
    1-foam the truck
    2-power wash off
    3-free flow rinse
    4-dry with blower
    Not as 2bwm, but about 90%. I to have a young baby and it's a struggle trying to keep our three cars clean. I have a 2010 Tundra that's similar in size to your Ram. It takes me about 45 minutes from the time I pull everything out to wash to putting it all away. The best thing about touchless is you won't induce any swirls or marring from trying to rush your wash.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast