autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

which mini polisher

I got a flex a month or so ago and used it a few weeks ago and it is to big to get in certain places on my truck so I am looking at adding a 3" polisher but don't know which one to get. I do not do this for a living just for my truck which is a 06 super duty.

I was looking at the rupes mini or the GG 6" machine and changing the pad to a 3" bp. I am not even looking at the GG mini bc of all of bad comments of lack of power.

I know the GG 6" is cheaper but would the rupes be a better choice bc of the build quality or is that a little over kill..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: which mini polisher

The GG3 is a fine little machine, FWIW. Does it compare to a DA with more than twice the power? No. But for occasional use on contoured panels or for damp sanding, it rocks.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

I donated my GG 3" recently to someone on this site. IMO you should get the GG6" or PC7424XP and get a 2 7/8" backing plate for 3" Pads. I did and it works better than the GG 3".Nothing wrong with the GG 3, but it is only good for very small areas. It can correct, however, the power is lacking compared to the 2 mentioned above.

Since you have a Flex (I do too) you might feel a little frustrated with the GG 3". Pay the extra $$ and get the PC or GG 6.

As for the Rupes....IMO, it is an expensive little machine. I can't give a comment as I have never used one, however, it is a superior machine compares to the GG3"

I have the PC7424XP with all size backing plates and it is the most versatile DA I have. I can use 3" pads all the way to 5.5".

The Flex 3401 is the beast and best DA IMO
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I would get the PC and a smaller back plate.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys I forgot about the PC...

Post Thanks / Like

Hands down the Rupes, I love mine, sold my PC to a friend, but you may want to wait till after sema, see what's new? Flex?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

if you want a DA with a smaller backing plate setup, get the HF DA and purchase both the 3" and 3.5" DA backing plates...

Post Thanks / Like

Save your money and get the smaller backing plate for the Flex, which allows you to use 4" conventional pads and the 5" Lake Country Hybrid pads (which has a 4" velcro side and 5" foam side).

Plate
    FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System

Hybrid pads in 5" (recommend orange, white, black) - risk some blue if you are adventurous.
    Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 5 Inch Foam Pads

Here's how I order them, generally in bulk.

I had a Meg's DA (G220v2) in the past, after getting the Flex with 4" plate and 5" hybrids I forgot about using the G220v2 DA for a while.

Then, I got the G220v2 again to see if it would ease things with smaller pads, used it for a panel and sold it right away - too much vibration, noise, and much less power compared to the Flex.

Nothing against PC style machines - I still like them, but if I had both a Flex with 4" plate and a PC with 3-4" plate, I can't cite a situation where I'd grab the PC for the same job.

Generally smaller spots are also intricate areas: this will give your 'underpowered' DA less rotation and more bog down than polishing action - you don't want that happening.

Here are some pics of the Flex with smaller plate for you to take a look. Rarely you'll find a place where the 5" hybrid won't fit. If you find it, 4" pads will do it fine.

The first Flex is fitted with 4" plate, the second with standard 5.5" plate, and the third is a Rupes 21 with standard 6" plate.

Here Flex is fitted with 4" plate and 5" hybrid orange cutting pad

In action (not the best example of smaller spot / intricate area, but...)!:

5" hybrid white polishing pad

Ready for action:

On the following pic, I'm using LC Microfiber pad (4.25") on the 4" Flex Backing Plate

The Rupes with MF for first cut, followed by Flex + 4" plate and Hybrid pad for secondary cut / refinement (I always follow a MicroFiber pad with a foam pad). The 5" pad and Flex Forced Rotation guarantees an even cut / finish in virtually ANY panel design.

On this scenario, I've used the Flex with 4" plate and 5" hybrid for cut (precision), followed by a fast refinement with the Rupes 21 and a large 6.5" flat finishing pad (speed):

4" flat finishing pad where 5"+ seems too large

In the end, I sure maintain all my respect for PC-style machines and it's users, but the way I'm working lately follow: 6.5" Hybrid Cutting pad on the standard backing plate / 5" Hybrid Cutting pad on the 4" plate - whetter they fit.

Please, the above text / images are just for illustration of my point of view, not the only or right or best way to work. Hope that adds some ideas to help you solving your question.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, the housing on my 3401 gets in the way with a 4" pad

For tight areas, I use my PC with a 2 7/8" BP and the 3" Megs MF Cutting Pads and switch over to a 3" BP with Lake Country CCS Pads for polishing

Has anyone found 3" polishing pads that they LOVE?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

With the PC, you can also create a Hernandez Polisher with an extension and 2" pads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast