autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to restore my headlights

So I have headlights and they look bad how do yall restore head lights I have a porter cable da with a 3 inch I restored headlights before but they just go back to yellow-ish or one is yellow and ones not so I correct the yellow one or hazed and they don't look the same here's what I'm working with I also have a flex How to restore my headlights-imageuploadedbyagonline1413954245-329841-jpgHow to restore my headlights-imageuploadedbyagonline1413954266-366369-jpg

Now I think these headlights are suppose to have a green tint but when I did them the first time they looked good but started looking bad again as you can see in the pic ^

How to restore my headlights-imageuploadedbyagonline1413954364-903297-jpg
    Like my page on facebook ill like back - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brian...668?fref=photo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to restore my headlights

There is already a huge thread here dealing with headlamp restoration.

Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

You appear to already have the tools, so just go on AG and order some 3" Meguiars Unigrit sanding discs in a variety of grits. The coarser ones are not expensive at all and may come in handy some day, so just get a box each of 320, 500, 800, 1500 and 3000. You may get lucky and only need to start at 800. Then follow along in the thread linked above for good info and pointers.
    Francesco

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The Unigrit sanding discs are an expensive route ($59 for a box of 3000#) if you are just doing your personal vehicle. They also should be used with an interface pad ($10) and a sanding specific BP ($28), due to the difference hook & loop configuration

AGO sells a variety pack of sanding papers that is a much less expensive option. Make sure you buy the foam backing pad for hand sanding

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    There is already a huge thread here dealing with headlamp restoration.

Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea

You appear to already have the tools, so just go on AG and order some 3" Meguiars Unigrit sanding discs in a variety of grits. The coarser ones are not expensive at all and may come in handy some day, so just get a box each of 320, 500, 800, 1500 and 3000. You may get lucky and only need to start at 800. Then follow along in the thread linked above for good info and pointers.

Read like 8 pages good info so do you use that coating they guy made? If not what do you use?
    Like my page on facebook ill like back - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brian...668?fref=photo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    The Unigrit sanding discs are an expensive route ($59 for a box of 3000#) if you are just doing your personal vehicle. They also should be used with an interface pad ($10) and a sanding specific BP ($28), due to the difference hook & loop configuration

AGO sells a variety pack of sanding papers that is a much less expensive option. Make sure you buy the foam backing pad for hand sanding

I bought the sanding packs before I plan on doing customers headlights just been out of the game what grit do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

found the name - UV Sealer-Helmsman Spar Urethane clear coat or whatever its called?

this is what grit I plan on using what do yall think? 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 3000, m105 m205, clean with with a ipa wipe down and coat which coating?

should I use a da when sanding? or by hand? and how is this stuff compared to opti-coat?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a problem with Optimum's Opti-Lens headlight coating. It's basically Opti-Coat formulated for plastic headlights so they don't oxidize again. It really is an awesome product. The little syringe will last you a very very long time.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post

not sure where you got those prices but they are nearly double of what you can buy these things for. and the Velcro works fine on the Meguiars pad interface I use on my GG3, never had any problem at all with the standard BP, and unigrit discs of all levels. pad interface is $4. box of discs $35 for 3,000 grit. Backing Plate less than $20. gotta shop around and not just buy from AG. (sorry)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO the Meguiars Headlight & Spot Repair Kit, with a lot of sanding disks, all of the backing plates, interface pads, polishing pads, and 105, and 205, and a nice bag, is $110, and enough to abrade and polish 20-30 pairs, is a killer deal. There is a 15% off sale now. You cannot beat it.

Post Thanks / Like

^
    Yea I might get that just need to know what grits to use would that be cheaper then buying all of the sand papers by them selfs? And is opti coat still the best coating?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast