autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do i need to use Griot's Paint Prep?

Hey everyone i have a 2014 mazda 3 that i bought last year in december and i got professionaly detailed last year when i bought it and the guy put on "Wolf's Hard Body" Nano coating and now its been 9 months and coating is totally gone (considering hard canadian winters) so i am planning to put on a sealant again (collinite 845) and this time by myself. Since i already checked that there is no more LSP left so i have this product sitting in my cabinet called "Griot's Paint Prep" and it it to remove any LSP so do i need to use this even though there is no more LSP left since the water isnt beading. So i am planning to wash the car, then clay and then put two coats of 845. Also its a black car so if i use Iron x would i be able to see colur change to purple?
    thx

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do i need to use Griot's Paint Prep?

1. Wash
    2. IronX (you may not see the color change on the paint surface, definitely will see it when you rinse the product off)
    2. Clay
    3. Pre-wax cleaner (or polish but since it is a 2014 the cleaner is least aggressive)
    4. Griot Paint Prep
    5. 845 x 2

For a 2014 I would say you should add a pre-wax cleaner step as this will clean the paint a little differently than a clay bar would. Every time I use a pre-wax cleaner my yellow applicators turn grey.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaboose786 View Post
    Also its a black car so if i use Iron x would i be able to see colur change to purple?
    thx
    You will see a river of purple dripping off your car. That is if you have any iron contaminants, and if you use enough product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    1. Wash
    2. IronX (you may not see the color change on the paint surface, definitely will see it when you rinse the product off)
    2. Clay
    3. Pre-wax cleaner (or polish but since it is a 2014 the cleaner is least aggressive)
    4. Griot Paint Prep
    5. 845 x 2

For a 2014 I would say you should add a pre-wax cleaner step as this will clean the paint a little differently than a clay bar would. Every time I use a pre-wax cleaner my yellow applicators turn grey.
    wht is the point of pre-wax cleaner if i am claying and washing my car? Also do i really need to use griots paint prep?

Post Thanks / Like

Way too many steps. Griots paint prep is designed to remove old wax and sealants and is supposed to be used after you wash the car as you're rinsing it. You can accomplish the same thing by using a car wash soap like Chemical Guys citrus wash or many others that will do it in one step. This will ensure you have a clean slate before you do any polishing or waxing. Personally, I have used Dawn soap to strip off old wax and it works very well, but it could fade plastic trim. Although, quick rinsing and washing out of direct sun should negate that. But since you already have the Paint Prep, you might as well use it.

Regarding pre-wax cleaners, this is highly recommended to clean/polish the paint before you apply a wax/sealant, especially if you are going to clay the vehicle. You will almost certainly have some type of micr-marring after claying. A pre-wax cleaner/polish will give you a better result. If you don't plan on polishing this time around, just wash the vehicle, remove old wax with the Paint Prep, and apply your wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaboose786 View Post
    wht is the point of pre-wax cleaner if i am claying and washing my car? Also do i really need to use griots paint prep?
    Again, the pre-wax cleaner will typically remove any marring the clay leaves behind. It will also ensure the best possible finish before you throw on your wax. If your paint has been protected and is good shape, however, it's very possible that you don't need to clean/polish the paint. I'm not sure if that means you don't need to clay either, but typically one would plan to use a finishing polish or pre-wax cleaner after claying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sparkism13 View Post
    Again, the pre-wax cleaner will typically remove any marring the clay leaves behind. It will also ensure the best possible finish before you throw on your wax. If your paint has been protected and is good shape, however, it's very possible that you don't need to clean/polish the paint. I'm not sure if that means you don't need to clay either, but typically one would plan to use a finishing polish or pre-wax cleaner after claying.
    thats for clearing that so pre-wax cleaner / polish or compounding isnt required to protect the cars paint? its only required to make the paint look nice? and remove swirls and any defects? but sealant/wax is required to protect the paint? since i am short of time is it okay for now if i just use sealant to protect the paint and in summer i can think abt polish/compounding/pre-wax cleaner

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Way too many steps. Griots paint prep is designed to remove old wax and sealants and is supposed to be used after you wash the car as you're rinsing it. You can accomplish the same thing by using a car wash soap like Chemical Guys citrus wash or many others that will do it in one step. This will ensure you have a clean slate before you do any polishing or waxing. Personally, I have used Dawn soap to strip off old wax and it works very well,
    In my opinion, neither of these two products will strip a decent sealant that still has any life left in it

Some have speculated that the residual surfactants from Dawn, cause the paint sheet rather than bead, but the sealant is still there

I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss as my weekly car wash soap.
    It does NOT strip Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The Griot's Garage Paint Prep will not remove anything, but wax

There are Cleaner Waxes that contain abrasives and will remove light swirls. They generally also contain chemical strippers that will remove old wax and stains in the paint

Post Thanks / Like

Way too many steps. Griots paint prep is designed to remove old wax and sealants and is supposed to be used after you wash the car as you're rinsing it. You can accomplish the same thing by using a car wash soap like Chemical Guys citrus wash or many others that will do it in one step. This will ensure you have a clean slate before you do any polishing or waxing. Personally, I have used Dawn soap to strip off old wax and it works very well, but it could fade plastic trim. Although, quick rinsing and washing out of direct sun should negate that. But since you already have the Paint Prep, you might as well use it.

Regarding pre-wax cleaners, this is highly recommended to clean/polish the paint before you apply a wax/sealant, especially if you are going to clay the vehicle. You will almost certainly have some type of micr-marring after claying. A pre-wax cleaner/polish will give you a better result. If you don't plan on polishing this time around, just wash the vehicle, remove old wax with the Paint Prep, and apply your wax.
    Negative, his step list is spot on if the OP wants it done correctly, meaning thoroughly. That's assuming the car should be clayed and could use a chemical cleaner or a polish to which, the OP indicated he would like to perform those steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast