autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing question

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2004 VY Commodore in Blue here in Australia.

The cars paint was in pretty good condition, I had some meguiars products in the garage, and I used these. I washed the car, ran the clay bar over it, used scratch x and meguiars paint cleaner and then followed up with ultimate wax. The result was pretty good but no where near the results I used to get with Dodo or P21.

Yesterday I purchased some Duragloss products to do the job properly. My question is should I remove the meguiars wax with a clay bar or other product or should I just go over the existing wax etc with the new products? The clay bar and other products were only applied a few days ago.

I now have Duragloss Wash and the guy gave me 105 Total performance polish, the 601 bonding agent and also the 111 clear coat polish.

I know the bonding agent goes on first and not removed followed by the 105 polish, I think he then said once thats removed wait an hour or so and follow up with the 111 clear coat is that the best process?

Just need to work out if I should re clay or wash with Dawn and start a fresh or do you think I can just run over the existing meguiars products?

Thanks all

Clarky

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing question

There is a lot of controversy about whether Dan actually removes an LSP or leaves something on the surface so the finish takes on the characteristics of the Damn. Personally I would wash good, go over it with a paint cleaner or very mild polish so your sure your down to bare paint, then proceed with the Duragloss products. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

If you just clayed it I wouldn't think it would need it again. Did you use iron x or equivalent?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No I didn't use Iron X or anything, I just clayed it then laid down the meguiars products, do I need to remove all those before going with the Duragloss, would the Duragloss 105 remove the old products anyway or not?

Post Thanks / Like

If you just clayed that car then there is really no point to reclay it, you can if you want but not nessesary. I say wash with Dawn then to be sure all the Meguiars stuff is gone, then do a wipedown with Eraser/IPA and start using the Duragloss. The key is to making sure the paint is squeaky clean before polishing, waxing etc. Using Eraser/IPA after the Dawn may not be nessesary in your case, but you want to make sure you get rid of the Meguiars products before you start applying the Duragloss products.
    This is of course assuming you are not planning on polishing, if you are then refer to what Dave said above. HTH

Cheers
    Phil

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a big help thank you !